Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Larry Rappaport <ra...@lmr.com> on 2004/09/12 16:54:12 UTC

[users@httpd] Windows 2k Pro install

Hi,

	Newbie here.

	I installed Apache 1.3, PHP 3.0, and MySQL 3.21 on Windows
2000 Professional and everything seems to work ok in the default
directory "C:/Program Files/Apache Group/Apache/htdocs".  Apache is
installed as a service.

	However, when I try to change that directory in httpd.conf by
changing both DocumentRoot and the <Directory ...> option several
lines later, Apache refuses to start and gives no error message in the
error log.  Not sure what's going on there.  (I did stop and start the
server).

	I work with Dreamweaver MX2004 and Topstyle Pro.  What I'd
like to be able to do is to switch around the working directory,
either from within http.conf or elsewhere, so that it will point to a
local website editing directory.  (I have websites arranged as
subdirectories under C:\Websites).

	I looked at the FAQ at apache.org, and didn't find the answer,
but if there is some easy place to find it, please point me there and
excuse the post.

Larry
Mail may be sent to rapp at lmr dot com.  Please
use plain text only as html is filtered out as spam.

Re: [users@httpd] Windows 2k Pro install

Posted by Larry Rappaport <ra...@lmr.com>.
On Sun, 12 Sep 2004 11:06:59 -0400, you wrote (with possible editing):

...snip

>Larry,
>
>When installed as a service Apache has a startup argument included in
>the service registry entry. This argument is passed to the starting
>service. Try the following and see if it corrects your problem.
>
>1. go the the apache directory - where you will find apache.exe
>2. type the command : apache -k uninstall
>3. type the command : apache -k install
>
>This sould update the service registry with the new startup information.
>
>Chris Lewis

Thanks, Chris,

	That fixed it.  I changed the startup directory to
"C:/websites" and that points localhost there.  It also allows me to
specify "http://localhost/somedirectory" and it will serve the
contents there.  Just what I needed to do.  Again, thanks.
Best,

Posted by hunter <th...@gmail.com>.