Posted to dev@shindig.apache.org by Justin Wyllie <ju...@hotmail.co.uk> on 2010/07/02 13:51:22 UTC

requestSendMessage - why is this an RPC call to the container (web page)

Hi
In Shindig if a gadget makes a requestSendMessage call this is handled in container.js and it uses RPC to forward the request to the containing web page; a bit like adjustHeight or setTitle.
I'm trying to understand why this call would be sent to the containing web page. Surely it is the backend which would handle messaging - so I would have expected this to be  a JSON-RPC call like say writing app data.
Is there any reason it has been done this way?
with thanks
Justin
http://clk.atdmt.com/UKM/go/195013117/direct/01/

Re: requestSendMessage - why is this an RPC call to the container (web page)

Posted by Kam Kasravi <kk...@yahoo-inc.com>.
makeRequest is reserved for requests that are backend bound. Although I haven't looked at the documentation,
perhaps this is a request to route to another gadget via the container. This type of functionality would certainly
be needed.

kam