Posted to user@struts.apache.org by "Joe @ Team345" <jg...@team345.com> on 2003/06/12 03:44:48 UTC

Can you send a "null" value to a form in Struts (1.1)?

Hi,

Sorry if this is an oft asked question, but I just joined the list as I
was unable to find the answer elsewhere.

I'm using StrutsRC 1.1 (with webdoclet/xdoclet going to jboss).  My
question is basically in the subject: If I have a java Integer class on
a form, can I send a null value to this from a jsp?  While I cannot find
a way to do so, the logic in the "requiredif" part of the Validator
makes me think that it should be possible.  [In case anyone doesn't know
why I want to do this:  I have several fields (html:text elements) on a
form that are optional - a common occurrence!  I'm trying to send a null
for the Integer ones so that I know nothing was entered there.  However,
whenever it runs I get a zero (0) instead.  This happens to be a legal
value so I seem to be out of luck.

If this is not possible should all parameters passed (from a jsp) be
Strings?  At least this way one can test for empty strings and take some
action accordingly.

Looking forward to any thoughts or comments from others who have
experienced this previously.

Joe Gamache

Re: Can you send a "null" value to a form in Struts (1.1)?

Posted by Sandeep Takhar <sa...@yahoo.com>.
Other than strings and booleans, you cannot set the
type you want.

Maybe you can always set an equivalent 'null' string
that you can check for in the validator.
Unfortunately I haven't used the validator yet.

sandeep