Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Andrew Bruno <an...@gmail.com> on 2010/06/10 07:13:59 UTC

Session clustering across different contexts

Hello,

I have managed to get session clustering working when using the same context.

I need to get session replication working across different contexts.
Does anyone know if this is possible?

I get these warnings at the moment.

10/06/2010 3:08:20 PM
org.apache.catalina.ha.session.ClusterSessionListener messageReceived
WARNING: Context manager doesn't exist:localhost#/r2

Thanks
Andrew

Re: Session clustering across different contexts

Posted by Andrew Bruno <an...@gmail.com>.
OK, that's cool.  Thanks for confirming.  I'll have to try via Apache
redirects/aliasing/rewrites...

/AB

Posted by Jon Brisbin <jo...@npcinternational.com>.
On Jun 15, 2010, at 1:32 AM, Mark Thomas wrote:

> On 15/06/2010 06:21, Andrew Bruno wrote:
>> I am testing this on my laptop, windows 7 64bit, tomcat 6
>>
>> If I use the same contexts, i.e.
>>
>> localhost:8181/r2 and localhost:8080/r2 the sessions are replicated
>> across them no problem.
>>
>> If I use a different context, e.g. r3 but same web app deployed, the
>> sessions are no replicated, and I get this warning:
>>
>> org.apache.catalina.ha.session.ClusterSessionListener messageReceived
>> WARNING: Context manager doesn't exist:localhost#/r2
>
> Correct. What you are trying to do is not supported. Tomcat has no mechanism to map /r2 in one instance to /r3 in another.

As a shameless plug, the new session manager I wrote (which we're using internally in our Tomcat cloud) does this just fine because it doesn't care about contexts or IP addresses or anything like that. If the session manager is configured to connect to the same exchanges and RabbitMQ server as other Tomcat instances, the sessions will be shared.

I'm doing a write-up on it now for tomcatexpert.com

Code is on GitHub: http://github.com/jbrisbin/vcloud/tree/master/session-manager/

Downside is it requires another component (RabbitMQ).

Jon Brisbin
Portal Webmaster
NPC International, Inc.

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.