Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Bojan Smojver <bo...@rexursive.com> on 2002/10/10 04:01:58 UTC

Apache and Unix domain sockets

This might sound silly, but can one make Apache 2.0 listen to a Unix domain
socket instead of a TCP socket?

I looked through the code that has to do with sockets and it seemed as if that
was not possible at this point. But I might have missed something...

Bojan

Re: Apache and Unix domain sockets

Posted by Bojan Smojver <bo...@rexursive.com>.
On Fri, 2002-10-11 at 01:00, rbb@apache.org wrote:
> uOn Thu, 10 Oct 2002, Bojan Smojver wrote:
>
> > This might sound silly, but can one make Apache 2.0 listen to a Unix domain
> > socket instead of a TCP socket?
> >
> > I looked through the code that has to do with sockets and it seemed as if that
> > was not possible at this point. But I might have missed something...
>
> It is possible.  You will need to use connection-oriented UDP sockets, but
> it can be done.  For an example of how to make the server listen on
> non-TCP sockets, look at the perchild MPM, and how it deals with Unix
> Domain sockets.

Thanks. I'll have a look there.

Posted by rb...@apache.org.
uOn Thu, 10 Oct 2002, Bojan Smojver wrote:

> This might sound silly, but can one make Apache 2.0 listen to a Unix domain
> socket instead of a TCP socket?
>
> I looked through the code that has to do with sockets and it seemed as if that
> was not possible at this point. But I might have missed something...

It is possible.  You will need to use connection-oriented UDP sockets, but
it can be done.  For an example of how to make the server listen on
non-TCP sockets, look at the perchild MPM, and how it deals with Unix
Domain sockets.

Ryan
550 Jean St
Oakland CA 94610