Posted to user@jmeter.apache.org by Simon Balz <si...@simeli.org> on 2005/01/11 10:42:24 UTC

Random Value from File

Hi there!

I use the function __StringFromFile to get some values from simple text
files.
As I read in the manual, JMeter reads this values sequential from the
source. But my problem is, that we have to generate as much as possible
combinations who are different from each other.
Is there any possibility to get the values randomly?

Thanks in advance,
Simon from Switzerland :)

Re: Random Value from File

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
We use _StringFromFile to process randomly sorted account ids and PINs:

* Create separate PIN and account files containing randomly ordered entries.
* Use SFF in a User Parameters Pre-Processer to set up variables for each item.
* Use the variables in the Samplers.

This gives repeatable test runs.

And by dividing the files into chunks, we can use the start and loop
count feature of SFF to use different sets for each file, so we can
for example allow for the fact that the PINs can
only be used once (without resetting the test database).

Perhaps you can do something like that?

By the way, SFF deliberately does not store the contents of the file
in memory so that it does not matter how large the files are.

S.