Posted to user@hive.apache.org by Kishore kumar <ki...@techdigita.in> on 2014/04/23 13:18:40 UTC

Reduce Job Start

Hi All,

I heard about the reduce job, it will be started after all map tasks
finished 100%, but in my hive query the reduce job started at below stage,
please explain why is this.(I copied below line when the job is running).

2014-04-22 21:15:12,803 Stage-1 map = 83%, reduce = 1%, Cumulative CPU
4194.4 sec

--

*Kishore *

Re: Reduce Job Start

Posted by unmesha sreeveni <un...@gmail.com>.
Reduce starts only after all Map task finishes.Reducers pull data from
mappers ,but processing is done only after all map get finished.
It is better to look into JObtracker UI instead of looking into console.
There you can see only after map 100% Reducer starts

--
*Thanks & Regards *

*Unmesha Sreeveni U.B*
*Hadoop, Bigdata Developer*
*Center for Cyber Security | Amrita Vishwa Vidyapeetham*
http://www.unmeshasreeveni.blogspot.in/

Re: Reduce Job Start

Posted by Rakesh Davanum <ra...@gmail.com>.
You can control when the reduce task even starts in the first place. The
parameter *mapred.reduce.slowstart.completed.maps *
specifies the fraction of the number of maps in the job which should be
complete before reduces are scheduled for the job. So for example if you
set this to .70 then reduce task will start after 70% of mappers are
completed.  Remember that the actual 'reduce' phase of the reducer will not
start until all the mappers are competed. Sometimes when this value is set
too low, reduce tasks starts even when there are a lot of mappers yet to
complete. This results in a lot of killed reduce task attempts as they are
waiting for the outputs from all the mappers to be available.

Thanks & Regards,
Rakesh

Re: Reduce Job Start

Posted by Chi Huynh <hu...@initions.com>.