Posted to java-user@lucene.apache.org by aurora <au...@gmail.com> on 2005/04/07 21:33:46 UTC

O'Reilly on Native XML Databases

I was reading an interesting article on O'Reilly about Native XML
Databases.

   http://www.xml.com/pub/a/2005/03/30/native.html

My initial reaction is someone is trying to take on relational database
again and this time it is a resurrection of hierarchical database.

But as I read on, I find that the domain of native XML database is mainly
in managing and querying documents. Thus it is more akin to a full text
search engine that a relational database.

It has some examples on structured queries I find very interesting. I'm
sure we come across situations where we want to search for documents
between certain dates that comes from certain website that contains
certain word. Sometimes these meta data are derived and does not even
appears in the document.

I wonder what's the best use of Lucene in these situations.

1. Lucene alone is good enough, by structuring the meta data and query
carefully and by using org.apache.lucene.search.Filter.

2. A combination of relational database and full-text search (as suggested
in the article).

3. Get one of these native XML database. They are really providing value
over a full-text search engine.

Just like to get a big picture understanding :)