Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Arjun Datta <ar...@greatgulfhomes.com> on 2006/11/02 22:57:03 UTC

[users@httpd] images getting mismatched while page renders

Hi,

I am using Apache 2.2 on a FC5 machine running kernel 2.6.

It is setup as a load balancing reverse proxy server that sends requests
to a pool of web servers.  I am using mod_rewrite for a load balancing
solution using proxy throughput round robin as outlined in the URL
rewriting guide for version 2.2 on the Apache documentations website:
http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/misc/rewriteguide.html

My problem is that when pages are rendered, the images - which are all
.gifs and a few .jpgs get mixed up on the page.  So, where A.gif should
display, B.gif is displayed and where B.gif should be, C.gif is and so
on.  This happens randomly with no patterns and is different each time.

Now, I have checked my load balancing script that mod_rewrite uses and
it does NOT do the mixing up.  It simply spews out the destination of
the request.  So if it is sent foo/foo/foo.html it will return
http://redirected-server-address/foo/foo/foo.html.  I also have a log
that checks what this script returns and it has never returned something
different from what it gets.

Other than adding the mod_rewrite lines at the end and the part where I
fill in the hostname and port, I have not touched any other part of
httpd.conf

I tried fiddling around with various Options directives but it seems to
not make any difference.

I have seen this problem occur irrespective of load - (1 user or more
than 100).  I have seen it happen irrespective of browser - IE6,
Firefox, Opera and with the caches cleared or not.

Now, is there some option(s) within httpd.conf that I need to touch to
fix this ?

If asked I can send the httpd.conf file but did not want to bog down the
email with unnecessary text.

Regards,
Arjun