Posted to user@hbase.apache.org by ra...@polarisFT.com on 2012/10/10 12:59:03 UTC

HBase table - distinct values

Hi all,
  Is it possible to select distinct value from Hbase table.

Example :-
   what is the equivalant code for the below Oracle code  in Hbase  ?

  Select count (distinct deptno) from emp ;

Regards
Raviprasad. T

This e-Mail may contain proprietary and confidential information and is sent for the intended recipient(s) only.  If by an addressing or transmission error this mail has been misdirected to you, you are requested to delete this mail immediately. You are also hereby notified that any use, any form of reproduction, dissemination, copying, disclosure, modification, distribution and/or publication of this e-mail message, contents or its attachment other than by its intended recipient/s is strictly prohibited.

Visit us at http://www.polarisFT.com

RE: HBase table - distinct values

Posted by Nitin Pawar <ni...@gmail.com>.
You may try define a hive table with hbase storage handler n then query it
..though response time will be slow based on how much data you have

Posted by ra...@polarisFT.com.

Posted by "Ramkrishna.S.Vasudevan" <ra...@huawei.com>.
Are you planning to use region splits? Can the rowkey have the deptno?

Having dept no in another table, may be having a reverse mapping of deptno
to empno may be helpful too if such queries are frequent.

Regards
Ram

Posted by yutoo yanio <yu...@gmail.com>.
you can create a table with key=deptno or every value that you need
distinct value of it.
scan of this table shows the distinct values.

Posted by Anoop Sam John <an...@huawei.com>.
Hi Ravi

Posted by Anoop Sam John <an...@huawei.com>.
Hi

Posted by Jean-Marc Spaggiari <je...@spaggiari.org>.
Hi Raviprasad,

What you can do, if deptno is you key, or the first part of you key,
is to scan for the first entry, then increment it by one and scan with
this value.

Let's take an example.

Key format is DEPTNO + ID (XXYY)
You table content is:
0101
0102
0106
0207
0212
0243
0419
0441

If you scan for the first entry you will find 0101. You extract 01
form that. Then you search for the next DEPTID just above this one.
You first key for the search will be 02. And you will find 0207. You
do the same. Start key for your search will be 03 and you will find
04.

And so on.

the main issue you will have is that is you have only few DEPTNO, you
will hotspot one server, then another one, and so on. So may you
should think about your schema first. Like you can have a table with
only the deptno so to get the list of distincts deptno you just scan
this table? etc.

JM

Posted by Doug Meil <do...@explorysmedical.com>.
Typically this is something done as a MapReduce job.

http://hbase.apache.org/book.html#mapreduce.example

7.2.4. HBase MapReduce Summary to HBase Example

However, if this is an operation to be performed frequently by an
application then doing frequent MapReduce jobs for summaries probably
isn't the best idea.  Either produce periodic summaries into another Hbase
table, or denormalize and keep track of the required summaries upon data
load.