Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Steve Haines <sh...@ipnetsolutions.com> on 2000/08/17 20:38:17 UTC

Tomcat, IIS, SSL

I am trying to configure tomcat to run through a web server (in my case IIS
- but it will also have to run under Apache) using SSL.

I have my machine configured such that:

http://localhost/myservlet/servlet

Served by servlet and accompaning JSP pages. I installed a certificate into
IIS and then added "Require Secure Channel" to my "jakarta" virtual
directory.. Sure enough when I go to that same URL:

http://localhost/myservlet/servlet

I get a "Forbidden" message specifying that I need to address it as

https://localhost/myservlet/servlet

But when I connect there is times out and never gets to my servlet.

Is there anything that I need to do to my code to support SSL or can I just
ride off of the SSL support of my web server? Can someone tell me how to
protect my servlet under the web server's SSL shield (and let it manage all
of the certificates)??

Thanks in advance!
Steve

P.S.  I already searched the archives but couldn't find the answer to my
questions..

Re: Tomcat, IIS, SSL

Posted by Maureen Fisher <mf...@cornell.edu>.
did you try a url_rewrite?

At 11:38 AM 08/17/2000 -0700, you wrote:
>I am trying to configure tomcat to run through a web server (in my case IIS
>- but it will also have to run under Apache) using SSL.
>
>I have my machine configured such that:
>
>http://localhost/myservlet/servlet
>
>Served by servlet and accompaning JSP pages. I installed a certificate into
>IIS and then added "Require Secure Channel" to my "jakarta" virtual
>directory.. Sure enough when I go to that same URL:
>
>http://localhost/myservlet/servlet
>
>I get a "Forbidden" message specifying that I need to address it as
>
>https://localhost/myservlet/servlet
>
>But when I connect there is times out and never gets to my servlet.
>
>Is there anything that I need to do to my code to support SSL or can I just
>ride off of the SSL support of my web server? Can someone tell me how to
>protect my servlet under the web server's SSL shield (and let it manage all
>of the certificates)??
>
>Thanks in advance!
>Steve
>
>P.S.  I already searched the archives but couldn't find the answer to my
>questions..

Maureen Fisher, CIT/ASDT, Cornell University
Ithaca, NY 14850
mf12@cornell.edu
http://mo.cit.cornell.edu/
Ad astra per aspera