Posted to server-user@james.apache.org by Diego Castillo <di...@inexbee.com> on 2002/10/07 21:32:10 UTC

ORDB considers James an open relay

Hi all,

My James 2.0a3 installation is considered an open relay by ORDB.

I have screened the mailing list and found plenty of mails talking about
relaying prevention. However, I am unable to apply their suggestions to
my particular situation.

I use James as a SMTP gateway that transforms my outgoing mails before
delivering them. I cannot use authenticated SMTP. I have no local users
and no POP3 server, but it deals with some public virtual addresses
(i.e. subscribe-123123123@mydomain.org).

As it must be reachable from the Internet, I cannot user the
RemoteAddrNotInNetwork protection. In addition, the server runs inside a
firewall which permits ingoing and outgoing SMTP, but blocks HTTP. Is it
possible to use InSpammerBlacklist with such restrictions?

I guess that it is impossible to prevent my James from being an open
relay in my conditions. Am I right?

Diego

Re: ORDB considers James an open relay

Posted by Hontvari Jozsef <ho...@solware.com>.
"Is it possible to use InSpammerBlacklist with such restrictions?"

yes, but that would be pointless. You still remain an open relay.

<ma...@jakarta.apache.org>
<ma...@jakarta.apache.org>

Re: ORDB considers James an open relay

Posted by Dodd Gatsos <dg...@slb.com>.
True, but they would have to find out what they were to do it.  It would not
prevent you from being an open relay, but it would make it harder.  You
could also ensure that the reply to was the same as the sender's email
address, in that way they could not get responses back to their email, so it
would be that much more useless to them to use you as an open relay.
There's easier targets out there.

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.

Posted by Dodd Gatsos <dg...@slb.com>.