Posted to dev@ranger.apache.org by Nigel L Jones <jo...@uk.ibm.com> on 2017/05/04 10:26:15 UTC

Git: Github vs Apache

Ranger (& Atlas) are hosted on both github.com & git.apache.org

Initially I cloned from apache, but now I’m tending to use github – in part as other projects are there too.

How/when are the repositories synchronized?

For anyone wanting to clone the repos I can’t see there’s any substantive difference, I’ve noticed plenty of commits go to the github version … whilst I’m not a committer is that where the committers work?

Is this the same on Atlas too (I could ask there)

Or perhaps this is a Q for the apache infra team…

Just intrigued 😉

Thanks

Nigel.

Unless stated otherwise above:

Re: Git: Github vs Apache

Posted by Colm O hEigeartaigh <co...@apache.org>.
Hi Nigel,

Working with github is fine, although sometimes commits can take a while to
get synced from Apache. The committers work with the Apache git repo, as we
don't have commit privileges to the github repo.

Colm.

On Thu, May 4, 2017 at 11:26 AM, Nigel L Jones <jo...@uk.ibm.com> wrote:

> Ranger (& Atlas) are hosted on both github.com & git.apache.org
>

> Initially I cloned from apache, but now I’m tending to use github – in
> part as other projects are there too.
>
> How/when are the repositories synchronized?
>

> For anyone wanting to clone the repos I can’t see there’s any substantive
> difference, I’ve noticed plenty of commits go to the github version …
> whilst I’m not a committer is that where the committers work?
>
> Is this the same on Atlas too (I could ask there)
>

> Or perhaps this is a Q for the apache infra team…
>

> Just intrigued 😉
>
> Thanks
>
> Nigel.
>
> Unless stated otherwise above: