Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Hans Holmberg <ha...@solace.mh.se> on 2004/09/03 14:58:13 UTC

Question regarding revision handling and labeling

I work for a company that's looking at replacing the current
version-handling system with something else (read newer & better).

I have been testing subversion for a couple of days now and there's one
feature I'm missing. We have something we call a "production-label". We
issue one when the current development and testing cycle has finished and
the current version is production ready. What it means is basicly labling
a version in the repository that this version is a production-version.

The label is only a text-string that is used check out the correct version
in the production environment, ie. like:
 Setting: svn label --revision 945 "my_production_tag" projectname
 Getting: svn checkout --label "my_production_tag" projectname

The labeling looks something like this right now (wrapped in scripts):

devmachine1> create_production_label.ksh projectname 945 projectname.20040901.0
create_production_label: Production-label projectname.20040901.0 created for version 945
devmachine1>
prodmachine1> get_production_label.ksh projectname projectname.20040901.0
Getting production label projectname.200409091.0 for projectname...
Production label has version 945.
Getting files.
Done.
prodmachine1> build_project.ksh projectname projectname.20040901.0
Building project projectname..
Running buildscripts..
o build_db.ksh
-- Updating database table "tbCustomer"
-- Updating database table "tbSupplier"
o build_cpp.ksh
-- Compiling using projectname.mak
Build finished, no errors.
Log of build in $projectname/logs/build.projectname.20040901.0
prodmachine1>

----

Anyone have a good idea how to solve this? Or does it require hacking
subversion?

/H

Re: Question regarding revision handling and labeling

Posted by Max Bowsher <ma...@ukf.net>.
Hans Holmberg wrote:
> On Fri, 3 Sep 2004, Max Bowsher wrote:
>
>> Is there any reason why tags, as implemented by "svn copy" and described
>> in
>> the svnbook, do not fulfil your needs?
>>
>> Max.
>
> Well, I was thinking along the lines of adding a label-name to a specific
> version. It didn't occur to me that I could do a copy of the version to a
> stable repository which has a name that reflects the name of the
> production-label.

Note that you copy to a path within the *same* repository - not to an
additional repository.

Max.

Re: Question regarding revision handling and labeling

Posted by Hans Holmberg <ha...@solace.mh.se>.
On Fri, 3 Sep 2004, Max Bowsher wrote:

> Is there any reason why tags, as implemented by "svn copy" and described in
> the svnbook, do not fulfil your needs?
>
> Max.

Well, I was thinking along the lines of adding a label-name to a specific
version. It didn't occur to me that I could do a copy of the version to a
stable repository which has a name that reflects the name of the
production-label.

Thanks everyone for the help. I'll start setting up a demonstration of
subversion for the pointy hairs. (They hired a consultant that was trying
to get them to buy ClearCase from his firm)

Cheers!

Posted by Max Bowsher <ma...@ukf.net>.