Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Rodent of Unusual Size <Ke...@Golux.Com> on 1998/07/03 01:55:19 UTC

Include MultiViews in 'Options All' for 1.3.1?

This 'Options All doesn't include MultiViews' disconnect has
been around forever.  Well, a long time.  Weeks may well be
involved.

Does anyone see any reason why 1.3.1 can't fold MultiViews into
All?

#ken	P-)}

Re: Include MultiViews in 'Options All' for 1.3.1?

Posted by Marc Slemko <ma...@worldgate.com>.
Well that's your problem.  Don't do that.

But in any case, that is something of a bug that should be fixed but could
be a pain because of ordering issues.

Posted by Marc Slemko <ma...@go2net.com>.

Posted by Dan Kearns-LDK001 <Da...@email.mot.com>.

Posted by Marc Slemko <ma...@worldgate.com>.
On Sun, 5 Jul 1998, Dan Kearns-LDK001 wrote:

> > At 06:55 PM 7/3/98 +0200, Lars Eilebrecht wrote:
> > >IMHO there is no need to make MultiViews part of the All option.
> > >It won't break any configs, but it will put unnecessary load on
> > >servers from people who are using 'Options All', but do not use
> > >MultiViews.
>
> Multiviews also opens an ASP-style hole for people who use
> ScriptAlias instead of some kind of Location or File block
> and SetHandler to denote script directories, eg
>
> ScriptAlias /cgi-bin /web/cgi-bin
>
> with multiviews lets you call cgi-bin/script.cgi as
> cgi-bin/script and get the source returned instead of
> executing the script, which would probably be unexpected.

Erm... I can't replicate this, and if it does allow that then it is a bug.

Posted by Dan Kearns-LDK001 <Da...@email.mot.com>.

Posted by Brian Behlendorf <br...@hyperreal.org>.
At 06:55 PM 7/3/98 +0200, Lars Eilebrecht wrote:
>IMHO there is no need to make MultiViews part of the All option.
>It won't break any configs, but it will put unnecessary load on
>servers from people who are using 'Options All', but do not use
>MultiViews.

Agreed...

	Brian

pure chewing satisfaction                                  brian@apache.org
                                                        brian@hyperreal.org

Re: Include MultiViews in 'Options All' for 1.3.1?

Posted by Rodent of Unusual Size <Ke...@Golux.Com>.
Marc Slemko wrote:

> I just don't see any point to changing it right now.  If you can give some
> reasons for changing it, I am all ears, but just wanting to change it
> doesn't seem good enough.

'Salright, I just wandered across the 'except for Multiviews (one line
change)' note and remembered that I'd meant to fix that for 1.3.0.

'Never mind..' :-)

Posted by Marc Slemko <ma...@worldgate.com>.
On Thu, 2 Jul 1998, Rodent of Unusual Size wrote:

> Marc Slemko wrote:
> >
> > Because it will really confuse people and break some things.
>
> Really?  Like NameVirtualHost didn't?  Are you suggesting that
> this is a legacy with which we're stuck until 2.0?  I just
> want to make sure I understand..

Right.

I don't see the real gain from changing it at this point.  It breaks
or changes existing configurations in ways that people will not notice
because things will "seem" to work.  It adds more "default" support for
URL variance.

Posted by Rodent of Unusual Size <Ke...@Golux.Com>.

Posted by Marc Slemko <ma...@worldgate.com>.

Posted by Lars Eilebrecht <La...@unix-ag.org>.
According to Rodent of Unusual Size:

>  This 'Options All doesn't include MultiViews' disconnect has
>  been around forever.  Well, a long time.  Weeks may well be
>  involved.
>
>  Does anyone see any reason why 1.3.1 can't fold MultiViews into
>  All?

IMHO there is no need to make MultiViews part of the All option.
It won't break any configs, but it will put unnecessary load on
servers from people who are using 'Options All', but do not use
MultiViews.

ciao...
--
Lars Eilebrecht                         - It's not a trick - it's a .sig
sfx@unix-ag.org