Posted to user@hbase.apache.org by bharath vissapragada <bh...@students.iiit.ac.in> on 2009/07/22 06:43:44 UTC

Data Processing in hbase

Hi all,

I have one simple doubt in hbase ,

Suppose i use a scanner to iterate through all the rows in the hbase and
process the data in the table corresponding to those rows .Is the processing
of that data done locally on the region server in which that particular
region is located or is it transferred over network so that all the
processing is done on a single machine on which that script runs!!

thanks

Re: Data Processing in hbase

Posted by Amandeep Khurana <am...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Jul 22, 2009 at 12:07 AM, bharath vissapragada <
bharathvissapragada1990@gmail.com> wrote:

> That means we have to stick to the principle of MR whenever we require
> efficient data processing ..
> but map reduce cannot offer solutions to gnrl database problems i guess!

I'd recommend you read up the papers on MR, BigTable, and some of the latest
stuff on HadoopDB etc. That'll give you clarity.

Re: Data Processing in hbase

Posted by bharath vissapragada <bh...@gmail.com>.

Re: Data Processing in hbase

Posted by Amandeep Khurana <am...@gmail.com>.

Re: Data Processing in hbase

Posted by bharath vissapragada <bh...@gmail.com>.

Re: Data Processing in hbase

Posted by Amandeep Khurana <am...@gmail.com>.

Re: Data Processing in hbase

Posted by bharath vissapragada <bh...@gmail.com>.
I have one more doubt .
In the example given in the site

http://wiki.apache.org/hadoop/Hbase/MapReduce

Some codes are written in such a manner that they have only Map classes ..
and no reduce classes
What i understood is that a MAP is generated for every regionserver and it
operates on the data present in that region server ..
Is this idea right??

Re: Data Processing in hbase

Re: Data Processing in hbase

Posted by Fernando Padilla <fe...@alum.mit.edu>.
This might be a simplified view, but this is how I understand it..

HBase stores the data in a distributed way, by using various RegionServers.

MapReduce distributes computations, by using TaskTrackers.

So when a MapReduce job is run it tries to run Map/Reduce operations
close run on TaskTrackers co-located with RegionServers serving the
data.. thus co-locating the computations with the data..

So, if you use Map/Reduce, you get computation and data distribution by
default, as well as a best effort to co-locate computation with data,
thus maxing out efficiency as much as possible.

Now, you don't have to use Map/Reduce, but then you will have to take
the extra effort to distribute your computations, and try to co-locate
them close to the data..

That is in fact something that I'm planning on doing, since I'm not sure
yet if my computations are suited for Map/Reduce.. So I will probably
run my own Java process co-located with the Hbase RegionServers..  And
make sure that when my code asks for data, it gets the local data as
much as possible...

Re: Data Processing in hbase

Posted by bharath vissapragada <bh...@gmail.com>.

Re: Data Processing in hbase