Posted to repository@apache.org by Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org> on 2003/11/06 19:36:40 UTC

Re: Maven Repository @ Apache

Jason van Zyl wrote:
> On Thu, 2003-11-06 at 11:51, Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
>
>>Jason van Zyl wrote:
>>
>>>Howdy,
>>>
>>>Just to keep you informed that I made an initial attempt today to get a
>>>Maven repository setup here for use by Apache projects that wish to use
>>>Maven.
>>The repository@apache.org community effort is progressing nicely, but we
>>have not heard anything about this there.
>
> This effort is simply for a Maven repository with the existing structure
> and format for projects at Apache using Maven that want to make
> artifacts available for use with Maven. This is an effort to satisfy the
> boards requirments that Apache artifacts be disseminated from Apache
> hardware.

Ok.

> I didn't even know about repository@apache until Peter Donald told me
> about it a week ago.

:-/

I'm sorry you didn't know about it. Dion is on the list since it started
IIRC, I thought that he would have told Mavenites about it. Should have
checked.

> I'd be glad to get involved with the effort but
> this endeavour strictly relates to Maven and projects here which choose
> to use Maven. It won't change anything that's going on with
> repository@apache and as I have time I will participate in the effort.

Good, as over at repository@apache.org we have been discussing exactly
along these lines. Furthermore the current Avalon setting is our
discussion baseline, so it seems that your current work is pushing in
the same direction even if we didn't know of each other's efforts.

> Right now the emphasis is on Apache projects' artifacts being placed
> within the Apache infrastructure for use with Maven and not being sent
> directly to ibiblio.

I understand, and support it.

             - verba volant, scripta manent -

Re: Maven Repository @ Apache

Posted by Jason van Zyl <jv...@maven.org>.
On Thu, 2003-11-06 at 22:14, dion@multitask.com.au wrote:
> Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org> wrote on 07/11/2003 05:36:40 AM:
>
> > I'm sorry you didn't know about it. Dion is on the list since it started
>
> > IIRC, I thought that he would have told Mavenites about it. Should have
> > checked.
>
> I figured if people were interested they were reading the lists I was.
>
> > > I'd be glad to get involved with the effort but
> > > this endeavour strictly relates to Maven and projects here which
> choose
> > > to use Maven. It won't change anything that's going on with
> > > repository@apache and as I have time I will participate in the effort.
> >
> > Good, as over at repository@apache.org we have been discussing exactly
> > along these lines. Furthermore the current Avalon setting is our
> > discussion baseline, so it seems that your current work is pushing in
> > the same direction even if we didn't know of each other's efforts.
> >
> > > Right now the emphasis is on Apache projects' artifacts being placed
> > > within the Apache infrastructure for use with Maven and not being sent
> > > directly to ibiblio.
> >
> > I understand, and support it.
>
> I'm not sure of why the above is useful, though. For me, as a maven user,
> I don't point at ibiblio by default anyway, as it's far slower than my
> local mirror. Having Apache host the jars would be less useful to me as a
> user, as I believe it's not as bandwidth capable as ibiblio.
>
> Jason, Nicola,
> is there a 'why' to this effort?

The board doesn't want the artifacts sent directly to Ibiblio. They want
them placed here first by the folks in charge of the projects for
oversight and security reasons. That's what they've asked for so I said
I would try to do my part in making it happen. The artifacts are just
going to get slurped over to ibiblio anyway so the net effect for users
will hopefully be nil. People can point at the mirrors if they choose.

--
jvz.

Jason van Zyl
jason@zenplex.com