Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by "b.davanzo@inwind.it" <b....@inwind.it> on 2003/03/10 16:05:24 UTC

Adding TERMINAL-TYPE option to TelnetClient

Hi:

In order to fix a problem while connecting to an OpenVMS server (delay of the OpenVMS login process when the terminal type is unknown) I added support of the TERMINAL-TYPE telnet option, RFC 1091 to the TelnetClient class of the Commons Net library (org.apache.commons.net.telnet.TelnetClient).

A brief description of the modification I had to make for the added capability follows:

- The state machine implemented in TelnetInputStream has been extended to support option subnegotiation (can be reused for implementing support for more option requiring subnegotiation)
- The Telnet base class has been extended to drive the subnegotiation sending the terminal type to the other telnet party when requested
- A new constructor has been added to the TelnetClient class, which accepts a String specifying the terminal type (the default terminal type is "VT100", which is took when using the empty construvtor).

I think this functionality could potentially be interesting for other users of the library, so I would like to propose that the updated sources be included in the Jakarta code base.

Also, I think that the support for subnegotiating options can be reused for implementing support for other telnet options. I think that the best way to do this could be defining a java interface for managing options and letting users of the library define their own class for managing options.

Any comment will be greatly appreciated.
Bruno D'Avanzo