Posted to users@openoffice.apache.org by tammie elgammal <ta...@gmail.com> on 2014/05/31 10:06:27 UTC

Please remove my info

Hello,
Recently one my students informed me that they were able to read a cover
letter from a job application.
That has personal information and I would like to kindly ask that you
please remove this.
Thank you,
Dr.Elgammal

Re: Please remove my info

Posted by Brian Barker <b....@btinternet.com>.
At 19:20 31/05/2014 -0700, Jacquelyn Apples wrote:
>Based on what I gleaned, the author published it not knowing the
>personal information was also published as meta tags.

No: the discussion of hidden personal information was understandable
but was a red herring. For what it's worth, the sensitive data was
visible in the document.

Brian Barker

Re: Please remove my info

Posted by japples <ja...@europa.com>.
Based on what I gleamed, the author published it not knowing the
personal information was also published as meta tags.  After student
called the display of personal information to the attention of the
author, author would like the document removed.  A little glitch is the
emails are not the same.

Jack

Re: Please remove my info - Unclear writing

Posted by "M. Fioretti" <mf...@nexaima.net>.
On Sun, June 1, 2014 4:22 am, japples wrote:
> Based on what I gleamed, the author published it not knowing the
> personal information was also published as meta tags.

No she didn't. Or at least this is what she said in the email with which
she replied (only to me) to my previous one in this thread.

Marco
--
Help *everybody* love Free Standards and Software:
http://digifreedom.net

Re: Please remove my info - Unclear writing

Posted by japples <ja...@europa.com>.
Based on what I gleamed, the author published it not knowing the
personal information was also published as meta tags.  After student
called the display of personal information to the attention of the
author, author would like the document removed.  A little glitch is the
emails are not the same - meaning the email of the original author and the person requesting removal of the document are
different (sorry for the unclear writing).

Jack

-----
No virus found in this message.

Re: Please remove my info

Posted by Richard Detwiler <RL...@aol.com>.

Re: Please remove my info

Posted by Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie>.

--
Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie>

Re: Please remove my info

Posted by DaveMainwaring <da...@gmail.com>.

Re: Please remove my info

Re: Please remove my info

Posted by "M. Fioretti" <mf...@nexaima.net>.
On Sat, May 31, 2014 4:07 pm, tammie elgammal wrote:
> Hello Renee,
> I meant that when you Google my name, tammie elgammal,  there is a
> document that I wrote in open office.

just out of curiosity, did YOU put it yourself on the openoffice website?
Because in another message here a moderator pointed out that that document

"appears to have been uploaded on August 27th, 2013 by user account
"Drtammie".

Marco F.

Re: Please remove my info

Posted by tammie elgammal <ta...@gmail.com>.
Hello Renee,
I meant that when you Google my name,  tammie elgammal,  there is a
document that I wrote in open office.  My student told me my infor such as
my address and phone number are there and that's information I don't want
anyone reading nor seeing.
Please see if this can be fixed.
Thank you,
Dr. Elgammal

Re: Please remove my info

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.
On Sat, May 31, 2014 at 9:07 AM, M. Fioretti <mf...@nexaima.net> wrote:

> On Sat, May 31, 2014 3:00 pm, Andrea Pescetti wrote:
>
>> Good catch, Brian! I'll remove that document in one week if nobody
>> objects. If the document is still there in one week, feel free to send a
>> reminder.
>
> considering the nature of the request and of that document, if I had
> editing access to that website, I would:
>
> 1) remove it NOW. Why wait, in case like this? If and when somebody
> objects later, let's listen to their reasons.
>
> 2) figure out how and why that stuff ended online in the first place?

It appears to have been uploaded on August 27th, 2013 by user account
"Drtammie".

-Rob

Re: Please remove my info

Posted by japples <ja...@europa.com>.
Andrea, I am so pleased you investigated.  If I were the one who
uploaded it and someone with a different email address wanted my
document removed, I would be a bit upset it it was removed without
contacting me.

This situation provided a lesson for those who do or did not know about
meta tags (common for web pages) inserted in Adobe / MS / WP / Corel /
OO products, etal with information (as you pointed out ) about the
document's owner / creator.

Jack

Re: Please remove my info

Posted by "M. Fioretti" <mf...@nexaima.net>.
On Sat, May 31, 2014 11:29 pm, Andrea Pescetti wrote:
> So: tammieelgammal AT gmail.com, whoever he/she is, created the Drtammie
> account on our wiki on 27 August 2013

a more exact wording, more coherent with what Tammie says now, would be:
somebody who in august 2013 had access to that email address created the
account just to put that file online. Not necessarily the legitimate owner
of that email address.

Marco

Re: Please remove my info

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.

Re: Please remove my info

Posted by "M. Fioretti" <mf...@nexaima.net>.

Re: Please remove my info

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.

Re: Please remove my info

Posted by Brian Barker <b....@btinternet.com>.

Re: Please remove my info

Posted by johnny smith <ka...@krovatka.su>.
On Sat, 31 May 2014 11:02:37 -0000, Linda Hull <ch...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm quite interested to find out that there might be hidden data in my .doc
> and other AOO pages, which can be read by anyone. How do we read this in
> other documents? Not just by clicking a box, but to see what might be
> there?

the easiest way is to check the properties of a file in your system's explorer program. there would be author, title, subject, keywords, creation date and so on. the user data is taken from 'tools -> options -> openoffice'. however, it is not specific to openoffice. every program does that and it is usualy possible to switch it of if you are of secretive nature; see fernando's reply to learn how.

Re: Please remove my info

Posted by John Miller <jr...@gmail.com>.
There's metadata in virtually everything we save. It's not always a bad
thing, I believe it helped in catching Dr Harold Shipman

Re: Please remove my info

Posted by Linda Hull <ch...@gmail.com>.

RE: Please remove my info

Posted by Mike Walker <mi...@luckychip-media.net>.

Re: Please remove my info

Posted by Regina Henschel <rb...@t-online.de>.
Hello Dr. Elgammal,

Re: Please remove my info

Posted by Julian Thomas <jt...@jt-mj.net>.
On 2 Jun 2014, at 12:39, johnny smith <ka...@krovatka.su> wrote:

>>> In Apache OpenOffice, go to the menu option File->Properties, and in
>>> the "General" tab remove the check box from "Apply user data".
>>
>> It looks like that has to be done on a document by document basis.  Any way to make it global default?
>
> tools - options - openoffice - security - options - remove personal information on saving

??? On my Mac, I don’t find options under tools - either before or after I open a text file.  jt

OOPS - should have read Rochelle’s post before replying.  jt

Re: Please remove my info

Posted by Julian Thomas <jt...@jt-mj.net>.

Re: Please remove my info

Posted by Rochelle <rh...@gmail.com>.
Thanks, that's good to know. . .

For Mac OS users, click security options: remove personal information on
saving.
Preferences>security>security options and warnings > Security options

A bit redundant but I also enabled, security warning: Warn if documents
contain recorded changes, versions, hidden information or notes:
when saving or sending and when signing.

Re: Please remove my info

Posted by johnny smith <ka...@krovatka.su>.

Re: Please remove my info

Posted by Julian Thomas <jt...@jt-mj.net>.
On 31 May 2014, at 05:27, Fernando Cassia <fc...@gmail.com> wrote:

> In Apache OpenOffice, go to the menu option File->Properties, and in
> the "General" tab remove the check box from "Apply user data".

It looks like that has to be done on a document by document basis.  Any way to make it global default?

tnx - jt

Re: Please remove my info

Posted by Fernando Cassia <fc...@gmail.com>.
On Sat, May 31, 2014 at 5:06 AM, tammie elgammal
<ta...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
> Recently one my students informed me that they were able to read a cover
> letter from a job application.
> That has personal information and I would like to kindly ask that you
> please remove this.
> Thank you,
> Dr.Elgammal

I think you must be talking about part of the information embedded by
AOO in documents your create with your software. That is part of the
document properties. Microsoft Office does the same, as far as I know.

See
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/word-help/inspect-documents-for-hidden-data-and-personal-information-HA010074435.aspx

"If you plan to share an electronic copy of a Microsoft Office Word
document with clients or colleagues, it is a good idea to review the
document for hidden data or personal information that might be stored
in the document itself or in the document properties (metadata).
Because this hidden information can reveal details about your
organization or about the document itself that you might not want to
share publicly, you might want to remove this hidden information
before you share the document with other people."
(...)

"What types of hidden data and personal information are stored in Word
documents?
Several types of hidden data and personal information can be saved in
a Word document. This information might not be immediately visible
when you view the document in Office Word 2007, but it might be
possible for other people to view or retrieve the information.

Word documents can contain the following types of hidden data and
personal information:
(...)
    Document properties and personal information    Document
properties, also known as metadata, include details about your
document such as author, subject, and title. Document properties also
include information that is automatically maintained by Office
programs, such as the name of the person who most recently saved a
document and the date when a document was created. If you used
specific features, your document might also contain additional kinds
of personally identifiable information (PII), such as e-mail headers,
send-for-review information, routing slips, and template names."

The above is for Microsoft's office products but also applies to AOO.

In Apache OpenOffice, go to the menu option File->Properties, and in
the "General" tab remove the check box from "Apply user data".

Hope this helps!
FC

Durante épocas de Engaño Universal, decir la verdad se convierte en un
Acto Revolucionario
- George Orwell