Posted to dev@mina.apache.org by Bernd Fondermann <be...@googlemail.com> on 2009/04/12 22:32:53 UTC

TODOs for moving Vysper

Hi,

this is a probably incomplete list of things to do to move Vysper over here.

MOVE PROJECTS
+ ratify reception of code (MINA) (vote, pending)
+ ratify Vysper lab completion on Labs side (vote)
+ (optional) do additional steps as required to move from Labs to
MINA, for example moving through Incubator

IP CLEARANCE

+ check dependencies, NOTICE, LICENSE etc.

INFRA
+ move LABS/Vysper JIRAs
+ move Vysper svn
+ move Vysper's cwiki pages

CODE (after svn move)
+ adjust code to MINA conventions (headers etc.)
+ use maven for build

KARMA
+ grant berndf committer karma for Vysper

Anything else?

  Bernd

Re: TODOs for moving Vysper

Posted by Niklas Gustavsson <ni...@protocol7.com>.
On Mon, Apr 20, 2009 at 2:07 PM, Bernd Fondermann
<be...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> Do we want to have a trunk/ branches/ track/ construct under sandbox/vysper?

Guessing you mean trunk/branches/tags, and then yes, I think that
would be the best choice.

/niklas

Re: TODOs for moving Vysper

Posted by Bernd Fondermann <be...@googlemail.com>.
I was proved wrong. It worked.

Do we want to have a trunk/ branches/ track/ construct under sandbox/vysper?

  Bernd

Re: TODOs for moving Vysper

Posted by Bernd Fondermann <be...@googlemail.com>.

Re: TODOs for moving Vysper

Posted by Niklas Gustavsson <ni...@protocol7.com>.

Re: TODOs for moving Vysper

Posted by Ashish <pa...@gmail.com>.
When shall the code be available in MINA sandbox?

--
thanks
ashish

Blog: http://www.ashishpaliwal.com/blog

Re: TODOs for moving Vysper

Posted by Bernd Fondermann <be...@googlemail.com>.
*done* creating the JIRAs.

  Bernd

Re: TODOs for moving Vysper

Posted by Bernd Fondermann <be...@googlemail.com>.

Re: TODOs for moving Vysper

Posted by Niklas Gustavsson <ni...@protocol7.com>.
On Fri, Apr 17, 2009 at 7:13 AM, Bernd Fondermann
<be...@googlemail.com> wrote:

>> For the other subprojects, we user dev@mina.apache.org for developer
>> discussions. I believe the primary reason is to get all developers
>> cooperating on the various subprojects. We do however have a separate
>> user list for FtpServer.
>
> Wow, that should make me feel like labs then ;-)
> Ok, then I guess we will stick with dev@mina.a.o.
> In future, we could still fork a ML for Vysper (or any other
> subproject) when traffic permanently gets too high for a single list
> (this is a best practice from other projects).

Yeah, I think that's the general idea.

/niklas

Re: TODOs for moving Vysper

Posted by Bernd Fondermann <be...@googlemail.com>.
On Thu, Apr 16, 2009 at 20:56, Niklas Gustavsson <ni...@protocol7.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 16, 2009 at 1:43 PM, Bernd Fondermann
> <be...@googlemail.com> wrote:
>>> INFRA
>>> + move LABS/Vysper JIRAs
>
> In this task, let's include setting up a new JIRA project for Vysper.
>
>>> + move Vysper's cwiki pages
>
> In this task, let's include setting up a new Confluence space for Vysper.

ok.

Re: Vysper Logo [WAS: Re: TODOs for moving Vysper]

Posted by Ashish <pa...@gmail.com>.

> On Fri, Apr 17, 2009 at 11:04, Bernd Fondermann <bf...@brainlounge.de> wrote:
>> I see what you mean by arranging the feathers like in the XMPP logo.
>> Can we make it more clear that this is intended to be a play on the XMPP
>>  logo by chosing different colors or stylized feathers?
>
> That's easier said than done (at least for me :)).
>
> Please take a look at these feathers:
>
> http://stuff.interlinked.org/VysperLogos/vysper_xmpp_play.png
>
> At first I didn't like the combination, but after looking at it for a
> while, I think it fits.

This is good one to be considered.

Right now lets gather we can, before shortlisting

BTW, here is a link worth looking at

http://www.webdesignerdepot.com/2009/03/40-excellent-logos-created-with-helvetica/

Re: Re : Re : Vysper Logo [WAS: Re: TODOs for moving Vysper]

Posted by Ashish <pa...@gmail.com>.

> I hope no butterfly was hurt during the operation ;)
> Julien

As a policy, we don't hurt butterflies while removing their wings :-)

Posted by Julien Vermillard <jv...@archean.fr>.

Posted by Michael Jakl <ja...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, Apr 17, 2009 at 15:48, Bernd Fondermann <bf...@brainlounge.de> wrote:
> concerning your contributions, could you please - if you don't mind - file a
> ICLA with the ASF?
>
> see http://www.apache.org/licenses/#clas

Done.

Cheers,
Michael

Re: Re : Re : Vysper Logo [WAS: Re: TODOs for moving Vysper]

Posted by Ashish <pa...@gmail.com>.
tried a failed attempt to create a logo over the weekend :-(

Had a butterfly pic, and wanted to clip the wings and use them as "V"

Meanwhile will keep trying for some more ideas.

Posted by Michael Jakl <ja...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, Apr 17, 2009 at 15:48, Bernd Fondermann <bf...@brainlounge.de> wrote:
> concerning your contributions, could you please - if you don't mind - file a
> ICLA with the ASF?
>
> see http://www.apache.org/licenses/#clas

Of course, I will do so on Monday.

Cheers,
Michael

Re: Re : Re : Vysper Logo [WAS: Re: TODOs for moving Vysper]

Posted by Mark Webb <el...@gmail.com>.
#4 is the best..

Re: Re : Re : Re : Vysper Logo [WAS: Re: TODOs for moving Vysper]

Posted by Ashish <pa...@gmail.com>.
These are good one :-)

Have couple more ideas like how about just "v", something like twitter "t"
or a c big "V" and a small bird on top of it.

I know I miss the speed with which Micheal is working :-(

Just back from Karate classes and its time to work out this logo.
Give me sometime and will be back with the logo :-)

Posted by Bernd Fondermann <bf...@brainlounge.de>.
Michael Jakl wrote:
> Hi!
>
> On Sat, Apr 18, 2009 at 11:07, Emmanuel Lecharny <el...@apache.org> wrote:
>> May I suggest all those logo to be stored into the MINA logo page,
>> with a number, so when it will be a good timing for a vote, we can
>> simply point to this page ?
>
> I would do so, but I don't have the right permissions (on the
> Mina-Artwork page[1]). If I prepare an archive for the source files
> and various logo-sizes could someone else do the upload?

Yes, please open a JIRA and attach the files (check ASF license).

Thanks,

   Bernd

Re: Re : Re : Re : Vysper Logo [WAS: Re: TODOs for moving Vysper]

Posted by Michael Jakl <ja...@gmail.com>.
Hi!

 1: http://mina.apache.org/artwork.html

Re: Re : Re : Re : Vysper Logo [WAS: Re: TODOs for moving Vysper]

Posted by Bernd Fondermann <bf...@brainlounge.de>.
Emmanuel Lecharny wrote:
> Guys, there are a lot of god logos there... I like the one with the
> black rounded rectangle in the background.
>

> May I suggest all those logo to be stored into the MINA logo page,

You mean this page?

http://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/MINA/Artwork

> with a number, so when it will be a good timing for a vote, we can
> simply point to this page ?

Michael uploaded his designs as

https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LABS-349

I will add them as soon as I know where to put them exactly.

> Many thanks !
>
> Seems like Vysper is on track to exit from labs :)

Yes, we are on-track. In a few hours the final vote on Labs ends. :-)

  Bernd

Re: Re : Re : Re : Vysper Logo [WAS: Re: TODOs for moving Vysper]

Posted by Emmanuel Lecharny <el...@apache.org>.
Guys, there are a lot of god logos there... I like the one with the
black rounded rectangle in the background.

May I suggest all those logo to be stored into the MINA logo page,
with a number, so when it will be a good timing for a vote, we can
simply point to this page ?

Many thanks !

Seems like Vysper is on track to exit from labs :)
Cordialement,
Emmanuel Lécharny
www.iktek.com

Re: Re : Re : Re : Vysper Logo [WAS: Re: TODOs for moving Vysper]

Posted by Bernd Fondermann <bf...@brainlounge.de>.
Edouard De Oliveira wrote:
> IMHO the 4th is really cool ! exactly what i had i mind
> good job :)

+1! Wow, that's a great one!

Thanks Michael!

   Bernd

>  Cordialement, Regards,
> -Edouard De Oliveira-
> Blog: http://tedorgwp.free.fr
> WebSite: http://tedorg.free.fr/en/main.php

Objet : Re: Re : Re : Vysper Logo [WAS: Re: TODOs for moving Vysper]

Posted by Bernd Fondermann <bf...@brainlounge.de>.
Michael Jakl wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 17, 2009 at 14:21, Edouard De Oliveira <do...@yahoo.fr> wrote:
>> i do agree if some remainder to mina is a wish maybe combining the V feathers with mina logo (replacing the mina text with Vysper) is the way
>
> Good point!
>
> Here a few ideas based on the Mina logo:
>
> http://stuff.interlinked.org/VysperLogos/mina_vysper.png (first try,
> click on your own risk :))
> http://stuff.interlinked.org/VysperLogos/mina_vysper2.png
> http://stuff.interlinked.org/VysperLogos/mina_vysper3.png
> http://stuff.interlinked.org/VysperLogos/mina_vysper4.png (like 3 but
> with shadows)
>
> Cheers,
> Michael

Hi Michael,

Posted by Michael Jakl <ja...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Julien Vermillard <jv...@archean.fr>.

Posted by Edouard De Oliveira <do...@yahoo.fr>.
i do :)
 Cordialement, Regards,
-Edouard De Oliveira-
Blog: http://tedorgwp.free.fr
WebSite: http://tedorg.free.fr/en/main.php

Envoyé le : Vendredi, 17 Avril 2009, 14h01mn 23s

Posted by Michael Jakl <ja...@gmail.com>.
Hi!

Posted by Michael Jakl <ja...@gmail.com>.
Hi!

Posted by Julien Vermillard <jv...@archean.fr>.
Le Fri, 17 Apr 2009 11:46:13 +0200,

Posted by Michael Jakl <ja...@gmail.com>.
Hi!

Posted by Ashish <pa...@gmail.com>.
> I see what you mean by arranging the feathers like in the XMPP logo.
> Can we make it more clear that this is intended to be a play on the XMPP
>  logo by chosing different colors or stylized feathers?

May be we can experiment a little with other things as well, like some
icons or kind of object.
Don't have clear thoughts on what, but yeah may be would work out with
paper and send out something
as soon as I can :-)

Wish I spent time learning Photoshop :-(

Had clicked a cherry flowers in Washigton DC some two years back, and
let me see if I can
create something from them.

Will find them at my link on pbase (see below)

Let me take a few quick lesson from our Web Designer guy here :-)

Posted by Bernd Fondermann <bf...@brainlounge.de>.
Julien Vermillard wrote:
> Le Fri, 17 Apr 2009 10:33:00 +0200,
> Michael Jakl <ja...@gmail.com> a écrit :
>
>> Hi!

>>> That was my first thought, too.
>>> Maybe taking the XMPP logo[1] rainbows and make something feathery
>>> out of them.
>> I've been playing around with the logo-ideas, take a look here:
>> http://stuff.interlinked.org/VysperLogos/
>>
>> Some of them have a weird border (black or red), this is not intended
>> and comes from Inkscape (I guess). I used Bitstream Vera Sans for the
>> text and the feather comes from the Apache Wiki Logo [1].
>>
>> What do you think?
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Michael
>>
>>  1: http://people.apache.org/~nicolaken/whiteboard/apachelogos/
>
> Hi,
> I was going to post my tries and I seen your mail ;)
> http://people.apache.org/~jvermillard/vysper.svg
> http://people.apache.org/~jvermillard/vysper.png
>
> Julien

Wow, thanks for all your input! :-)

Posted by Julien Vermillard <jv...@archean.fr>.

Posted by Michael Jakl <ja...@gmail.com>.
Hi!

Posted by Bernd Fondermann <bf...@brainlounge.de>.
Ashish wrote:
>> Attachements get stripped (or you missed to attach them).
>> Do you have a link (you could upload them to your people.a.o home in a
>> subdir called public_html)?
>
> Here is the page http://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/MINA/MINA+Theme
>
> Please don't get Alarmed at MINA logo's :-) I am working on them too.
> Trying to complete my
> homework before starting the thread with community.

ok. I think MINA already has a pretty slick Logo.

> NOTE: Using MINA space temporarily till we get space for Vysper,
>
>> That was my first thought, too.
>> Maybe taking the XMPP logo[1] rainbows and make something feathery out of
>> them.
>>
>> [1] http://xmpp.org/images/xmpp.png

There is also
   http://xmpp.org/images/xmpp.svg
which should be easier to inspect about colors etc. than the png.

> I saw this too. Infact, i thought to use colored "V" and the word Vysper

Alright, V or y.
But we cannot simply forge the xmpp X (I think that's what it is
intended to be) into a V. That'd be a rip off. Trying to think about how
to do this intelligently...

Posted by Ashish <pa...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Bernd Fondermann <bf...@brainlounge.de>.
Ashish wrote:
>>> May be we can think of a logo for Vysper and probably since we shall
>>> be setting up
>>> new space, having a brief site map shall be a plus. Will help keep
>>> things organized.
>> +1
>
> Could workout only Text Logo's :-(

I am bad at drawing, too...

Re: TODOs for moving Vysper

Posted by Ashish <pa...@gmail.com>.

Re: TODOs for moving Vysper

Posted by Bernd Fondermann <be...@googlemail.com>.
On Fri, Apr 17, 2009 at 02:54, Ashish <pa...@gmail.com> wrote:

>> In this task, let's include setting up a new Confluence space for Vysper.
>
> May be we can think of a logo for Vysper and probably since we shall
> be setting up
> new space, having a brief site map shall be a plus. Will help keep
> things organized.

+1

  Bernd

Re: TODOs for moving Vysper

Posted by Ashish <pa...@gmail.com>.

Re: TODOs for moving Vysper

Posted by Niklas Gustavsson <ni...@protocol7.com>.

Re: TODOs for moving Vysper

Posted by Bernd Fondermann <be...@googlemail.com>.
Modifying and adding a few todos before adding the to JIRA:

Re: TODOs for moving Vysper

Posted by Bernd Fondermann <be...@googlemail.com>.
On Tue, Apr 14, 2009 at 11:47, Ashish <pa...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Updated the build file. Please have a look and verify that it doesn't
> break anything.
>
> Have tested the execution on my machine.

Works great, thanks.

  Bernd

PS: Vysper dev discussion takes place at labs@labs.apache.org until the move.

Re: TODOs for moving Vysper

Re: TODOs for moving Vysper

Posted by Bernd Fondermann <be...@googlemail.com>.
On Tue, Apr 14, 2009 at 10:32, Niklas Gustavsson <ni...@protocol7.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 14, 2009 at 7:03 AM, Bernd Fondermann
> <be...@googlemail.com> wrote:
>> Should I turn them into JIRAs, so we can track them better?
>
> I think this can wait until after the vote has passed successfully so
> that we know we should move at all.
>
> /niklas

Ok, fine.

  Bernd

Re: TODOs for moving Vysper

Posted by Niklas Gustavsson <ni...@protocol7.com>.

Re: TODOs for moving Vysper

Posted by Bernd Fondermann <be...@googlemail.com>.

Re: TODOs for moving Vysper

Posted by Ashish <pa...@gmail.com>.
> Please don't adopt to MINA conventions for now! We're still in Labs.
> Let's do that _after_ the move to MINA sandbox, when the whole MINA
> community can participate and provide oversight.
> Thank you.

Ok

- ashish

Re: TODOs for moving Vysper

Posted by Bernd Fondermann <be...@googlemail.com>.
On Tue, Apr 14, 2009 at 10:01, Ashish <pa...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> For the time being, I'd like to continue committing.
>
> Which file are you working with. If I get into the code today, shall
> take care of file headers as well.

Please don't adopt to MINA conventions for now! We're still in Labs.
Let's do that _after_ the move to MINA sandbox, when the whole MINA
community can participate and provide oversight.
Thank you.

>>> Yup It is :-)
>>
>> You'd like to commit it? That'd be great.
>> Otherwise I will do later today.
>
> Will do it. Low in energy today, but trying to regain my strength :-)

 Bernd

Re: TODOs for moving Vysper

Posted by Ashish <pa...@gmail.com>.

Re: TODOs for moving Vysper

Posted by Bernd Fondermann <be...@googlemail.com>.
On Tue, Apr 14, 2009 at 09:44, Ashish <pa...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> One biggest TODO, is to migrate the code from MINA 1.1.0 to MINA 2.0
>>> A lot has changed since then.
>>
>> I you or anybody else is happy to dive into it, go ahead. Every ASF
>> committer has Labs commit access... ;-)
>
> Is it?? Never knew that :-)
> Or we may freeze the development for a while, till the code is moved
> to sandbox, and then
> take care of all this.

At some point, we need a freeze. Please let me know when you start IP
due dilligence.

For the time being, I'd like to continue committing.

> Any suggestions ??

If you need a branch at Labs, I'll re-balance the trunk.

>> Great! Now it works! Thanks.
>
>> Is this contributed, ASL-licensed code? ;-)
>
> Yup It is :-)

You'd like to commit it? That'd be great.
Otherwise I will do later today.

>>> For the compliance package, my expectation shall be a little
>>> different. We need to generate a summary report, which states what all
>>> we comply to, like a simple pdf. Users can pick it up and can see the
>>> compliance easily, rather than browsing all javadocs. Javadocs shall
>>> still retain this information.
>>
>> +1. That'd be a goal for improvement. The current idea is to have an
>> easy pointer where in code to find the implementation(s) for a
>> specific part of the spec (you already mentioned it, the RFCs are big
>> :-). Some section you'd probably never implement, sometimes you have
>> to go down to paragraph- or bullet point-level granularity.
>
> Leave this to me, will take care of it.

ok.

>>> I guess turning them into JIRA will make things more manageable and we
>>> can get a better picture of tasks at hand.
>
> What's the Lab JIRA URL?

https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LABS
select component 'Vysper'

  Bernd

Re: TODOs for moving Vysper

Posted by Ashish <pa...@gmail.com>.

Re: TODOs for moving Vysper

Posted by Bernd Fondermann <be...@googlemail.com>.
On Tue, Apr 14, 2009 at 07:30, Ashish <pa...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Vysper has it's own naive pull parser implementation. See packages
>> o.a.vysper.mina
>> o.a.vysper.mina.codec
>> o.a.vysper.xmpp.decoder
>> o.a.vysper.xmpp.fragment
>>
>> No third party lib I looked at in 2007 worked for me.
>
> Have seen that. Infact, my first XML decoder was very similar.
> Check out this thread
> http://www.nabble.com/Continuous-XML-document-processing-td20802789.html#a20802789
>
> Openfire has similar implementation.
>
> Thinking about multiple implementations of XML Decoders, basically
> using different parsers.
> have it for XPP3, woodstox shall be ready guess by today (if time
> permits). Then we can try with
> JiBX, XStream etc
>

>> :-) Well, I can understand that. As soon as you take a closer look,
>> though, that's actually an advantage of XMPP: Being very modular on
>> the spec side, too.
>> The RFCs are big, but the XEPs are usually pretty handy.
>
> Well now you understand XMPP, so will take your help on this :-)
>
> One biggest TODO, is to migrate the code from MINA 1.1.0 to MINA 2.0
> A lot has changed since then.

I you or anybody else is happy to dive into it, go ahead. Every ASF
committer has Labs commit access... ;-)

> Couple of test cases related to Presence are failing.

Yes, see JIRA LABS-340. In progress.

> Regarding Spec package, was able to generate the report :-)
> Changed this apt-classpath
>
> <path id="apt-classpath">
>      <path refid="classpath" />
>      <pathelement location="${vysper.output.dir}" />
>      <pathelement location="${java.home}/lib/" />
>  </path>
>
> and here is the modified target
>  <target name="generate-compliance-doc" description="generates the
> compliance document" >
>      <apt factory="org.apache.vysper.compliance.reporting.DocumentSpecCompliantAnnotationFactory"
>           debug="false" verbose="true"
> preprocessdir="${basedir}/build/ant/apidocs"
>           compile="false">
>          <classpath refid="apt-classpath" />
>          <src refid="sourcepath"/>
>      </apt>
>  </target>
>
> See if it works for you.

Great! Now it works! Thanks.

Is this contributed, ASL-licensed code? ;-)

> For the compliance package, my expectation shall be a little
> different. We need to generate a summary report, which states what all
> we comply to, like a simple pdf. Users can pick it up and can see the
> compliance easily, rather than browsing all javadocs. Javadocs shall
> still retain this information.

+1. That'd be a goal for improvement. The current idea is to have an
easy pointer where in code to find the implementation(s) for a
specific part of the spec (you already mentioned it, the RFCs are big
:-). Some section you'd probably never implement, sometimes you have
to go down to paragraph- or bullet point-level granularity.

> I guess turning them into JIRA will make things more manageable and we
> can get a better picture of tasks at hand.

Ok, I'll take that todo.

  Bernd

Re: TODOs for moving Vysper

Posted by Ashish <pa...@gmail.com>.
> Vysper has it's own naive pull parser implementation. See packages
> o.a.vysper.mina
> o.a.vysper.mina.codec
> o.a.vysper.xmpp.decoder
> o.a.vysper.xmpp.fragment
>
> No third party lib I looked at in 2007 worked for me.

Have seen that. Infact, my first XML decoder was very similar.
Check out this thread
http://www.nabble.com/Continuous-XML-document-processing-td20802789.html#a20802789

Openfire has similar implementation.

Thinking about multiple implementations of XML Decoders, basically
using different parsers.
have it for XPP3, woodstox shall be ready guess by today (if time
permits). Then we can try with
JiBX, XStream etc

> :-) Well, I can understand that. As soon as you take a closer look,
> though, that's actually an advantage of XMPP: Being very modular on
> the spec side, too.
> The RFCs are big, but the XEPs are usually pretty handy.

Well now you understand XMPP, so will take your help on this :-)

One biggest TODO, is to migrate the code from MINA 1.1.0 to MINA 2.0
A lot has changed since then.

Couple of test cases related to Presence are failing.

Regarding Spec package, was able to generate the report :-)
Changed this apt-classpath

<path id="apt-classpath">
      <path refid="classpath" />
      <pathelement location="${vysper.output.dir}" />
      <pathelement location="${java.home}/lib/" />
  </path>

and here is the modified target
  <target name="generate-compliance-doc" description="generates the
compliance document" >
      <apt factory="org.apache.vysper.compliance.reporting.DocumentSpecCompliantAnnotationFactory"
           debug="false" verbose="true"
preprocessdir="${basedir}/build/ant/apidocs"
           compile="false">
          <classpath refid="apt-classpath" />
          <src refid="sourcepath"/>
      </apt>
  </target>

See if it works for you.

For the compliance package, my expectation shall be a little
different. We need to generate a summary report, which states what all
we comply to, like a simple pdf. Users can pick it up and can see the
compliance easily, rather than browsing all javadocs. Javadocs shall
still retain this information.

I guess turning them into JIRA will make things more manageable and we
can get a better picture of tasks at hand.

wdyt?

thanks
- ashish

Re: TODOs for moving Vysper

Posted by Bernd Fondermann <be...@googlemail.com>.
On Tue, Apr 14, 2009 at 06:02, Ashish <pa...@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> One thing that can be done meanwhile is upload the XMPP compliance
>>> report on wiki.
>>
>> Did you get it to work?? I never managed to run the ant apt task
>> properly, I had to use the command line apt with lots of workarounds
>> (Might be due to me using MaOSX or something).
>
> Not yet, just browsing the code. will give it a shot
>

>>> I did saw the compliance package, and its really great way of
>>> capturing Spec compliance.
>>
>> +1. If you put the generated HTML into the javadoc root, all the links
>> should also work.
>>
>>> We can do something similar for FtpServer and SSHD (typically for
>>> project where we need RFC compliance).
>>>
>>> Meanwhile, as we wait for the Voting and other formalities to
>>> complete, here are possible directions to work spend our energies
>>> 1. Generic XML Codec - We can work towards making a generic XML Codec
>>> and may be make it as part of MINA Core. In Vysper, we can reuse the
>>> same.
>>
>> +1. XMPP uses a subset of XML, so Vysper's current impl is sufficent
>> for now. I think this is a worthwhile thing to do, and will
>> definitively participate in the discussion, but I lack time and
>> energie to help with coding.
>
> Don't worry about this, our community is very active.
>
> Check this out
> http://www.nabble.com/XML-Pull-Parser-based-XML-Decoder-implementation-td23022865.html

Vysper has it's own naive pull parser implementation. See packages
o.a.vysper.mina
o.a.vysper.mina.codec
o.a.vysper.xmpp.decoder
o.a.vysper.xmpp.fragment

No third party lib I looked at in 2007 worked for me.

<snip/>

Re: TODOs for moving Vysper

Posted by Ashish <pa...@gmail.com>.

>> One thing that can be done meanwhile is upload the XMPP compliance
>> report on wiki.
>
> Did you get it to work?? I never managed to run the ant apt task
> properly, I had to use the command line apt with lots of workarounds
> (Might be due to me using MaOSX or something).

Not yet, just browsing the code. will give it a shot

>> I did saw the compliance package, and its really great way of
>> capturing Spec compliance.
>
> +1. If you put the generated HTML into the javadoc root, all the links
> should also work.
>
>> We can do something similar for FtpServer and SSHD (typically for
>> project where we need RFC compliance).
>>
>> Meanwhile, as we wait for the Voting and other formalities to
>> complete, here are possible directions to work spend our energies
>> 1. Generic XML Codec - We can work towards making a generic XML Codec
>> and may be make it as part of MINA Core. In Vysper, we can reuse the
>> same.
>
> +1. XMPP uses a subset of XML, so Vysper's current impl is sufficent
> for now. I think this is a worthwhile thing to do, and will
> definitively participate in the discussion, but I lack time and
> energie to help with coding.

Don't worry about this, our community is very active.

Check this out
http://www.nabble.com/XML-Pull-Parser-based-XML-Decoder-implementation-td23022865.html

>> 2. Can think of some suitable place for Spec compliance package and
>> try to see possible use in other projects
>
> +1
>
>> 3. Wiki is a definite candidate to be worked upon.
>>
>> 4. Can try to see the possible use of State Machine decoder, while
>> decoding XML or alternatively see how we extend and use a streaming
>> parser.
>>
>> 5. Some benchmarking shall be a good to have. We will be competing
>> with Openfire (hope have picked the right name), which again use MINA
>> for transport layer.
>
> +1. All effort until now went into making it spec compliant (ongoing),
> no time into making it performant. To catch up with Openfire will be a
> lot of work (an understatement). I think at first we will run into
> simple obstacles. And yes, this is perhaps one of the most important
> todos.

I guess we can work this out. We have a very active community to help
us out here.

Re: TODOs for moving Vysper

Posted by Bernd Fondermann <be...@googlemail.com>.

Re: TODOs for moving Vysper

Posted by Bernd Fondermann <bf...@brainlounge.de>.
Niklas Gustavsson wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 20, 2009 at 11:18 PM, Guillaume Nodet <gn...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Mon, Apr 13, 2009 at 10:55, Ashish <pa...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> One thing that can be done meanwhile is upload the XMPP compliance
>>> report on wiki.
>>>
>>> I did saw the compliance package, and its really great way of
>>> capturing Spec compliance.
>>> We can do something similar for FtpServer and SSHD (typically for
>>> project where we need RFC compliance).
>> You mean some kind of TCK ? where would it come from ?

There is none.
The compliance package is only about documentation, not testing.

However, there is infrastructure for interoperability testing at the
XSF: http://xmpp.org/interop/

> The spec compliance package is a set of annotations to mark classes on
> which part of a RFC the implement and to which degree. Here's an
> example from Vysper:
> @SpecCompliant(spec = "RFC3920", section = "A", status =
> ComplianceStatus.IN_PROGRESS)
>

> Using that, Bernd has created a script that produces an HTML report
> that details the compliance level of an implementation.

For an example see here:

http://people.apache.org/~berndf/projects/xmpp-server/vysper/apidocs_r757398/spec_compliance.html

> I find it's
> pretty useful and would like to investigate it for FtpServer (if we
> can break it out of Vysper into a standalone JAR and it's optional at
> runtime).

+1

I'm open to extracting and completely redesigning the SpecCompliant code.

  Bernd

Re: TODOs for moving Vysper

Posted by Ashish <pa...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Apr 22, 2009 at 11:52 PM, Michael Jakl <ja...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi!
>
> On Wed, Apr 22, 2009 at 08:43, Ashish <pa...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Here is the code summary
>> Total files: 266
>> Total Size: 1.01MB
>> Total Lines: 25985 (100%)
>> Code Lines: 15133 (58.2%)
>> Comment Lines: 7616 (29.3%)
>> Blank Lines: 3383 (13.0%)
>
> To add two more statistics (done with eclEMMA):
>
> Test coverage of the server: 69.4 %

I hope it means Code Coverage for the Server.

Re: TODOs for moving Vysper

Posted by Michael Jakl <ja...@gmail.com>.
Hi!

Re: TODOs for moving Vysper

Posted by Julien Vermillard <jv...@archean.fr>.
Le Wed, 22 Apr 2009 12:13:13 +0530,
Ashish <pa...@gmail.com> a écrit :

> >> src\main\java\org\apache\vysper\xmpp\resourcebinding
> >> src\main\java\org\apache\vysper\xmpp\modules\core\jabber\handler
> >> src\main\java\org\apache\vysper\xmpp\modules\core\negotiation
> >> src\main\java\org\apache\vysper\xmpp\namespace
> >
> > >From my point of view, they can go!
>
> Should I delete them? What's our take on deleting the files.
> Also there is one empty interface in Vysper code (forgot which one).
> To align the complete Vysper code shall take a while.
>
> Header are already aligned to MINA. Shall I go ahead and close the
> JIRA issue.
>
> Here is the code summary
> Total files: 266
> Total Size: 1.01MB
> Total Lines: 25985 (100%)
> Code Lines: 15133 (58.2%)
> Comment Lines: 7616 (29.3%)
> Blank Lines: 3383 (13.0%)
>
> The src folder in MINA trunk (trunk\src) is also empty

Hi,
This one is on purpose, it's for Maven I think.
Julien

Re: TODOs for moving Vysper

Posted by Ashish <pa...@gmail.com>.

Re: TODOs for moving Vysper

Posted by Bernd Fondermann <bf...@brainlounge.de>.

Re: TODOs for moving Vysper

Posted by Ashish <pa...@gmail.com>.

Re: TODOs for moving Vysper

Posted by Bernd Fondermann <bf...@brainlounge.de>.

Re: TODOs for moving Vysper

Re: TODOs for moving Vysper

Posted by Ashish <pa...@gmail.com>.

> The spec compliancy is documented using annotations.
> Currently, (and I'd propose not to change this) these annotations are
> retained in javadoc.

Well I meant extend it. having this info in javadoc is great :-)

> There is an AnnotationFactory implementation in the code which generates
> the HTML using the apt tool. This factory is written in a hurry and can
> easily be improved ;-)
>
> The HTML links to javadoc and the specs. I propose to keep rendering to
> this HTML file. I find it very helpful.
>
> Additionally we can rework the AnnotationFactory or create other ones
> for other purposes. We could create XML instead of directly creating
> HTML and create PDF and HTML etc via transformation.

yup, xml shall be great

Re: TODOs for moving Vysper

Posted by Bernd Fondermann <bf...@brainlounge.de>.

Re: TODOs for moving Vysper