Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Mike Murphy <mm...@gmail.com> on 2015/03/22 16:35:09 UTC

schemaless slow indexing

I'm trying out schemaless in solr 5.0, but the indexing seems quite a
bit slower than it did in the past on 4.10.  Any pointers?

--Mike

Re: schemaless slow indexing

Posted by Steve Rowe <sa...@gmail.com>.
> On Mar 23, 2015, at 11:09 AM, Yonik Seeley <ys...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On Mon, Mar 23, 2015 at 1:54 PM, Alexandre Rafalovitch
> <ar...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I looked at SOLR-7290, but I think the discussion should stay on the
>> mailing list for at least one more iteration.
>>
>> My understanding that the reason copyField exists is so that a search
>> actually worked out of the box. Without knowing the field names, one
>> cannot say what to search.
>
> Some points:
> - Schemaless is often just to make it easier to get started.
> - If one assumes a lack of knowledge of field names, that's an issue
> for non-schemaless too.
> - Full-text search is only one use-case that people use Solr for...
> there's lots of sorting/faceting/analytics use cases.

Under SOLR-6779, Erik Hatcher changed the data_driven_schema_configs's auto-guessed default field type from text_general to strings in order to support features other than full-text search:

<https://svn.apache.org/viewvc/lucene/dev/trunk/solr/server/solr/configsets/data_driven_schema_configs/conf/solrconfig.xml?r1=1648456&r2=1648455&pathrev=1648456>

It’s for exactly this reason (as Alex pointed out) that the catch-all field makes sense: there is no other full-text available.

Yonik, can you suggest a path that supports both these possibilities?  Because having zero fields with full text search in the default Solr configuration seems like a really bad idea to me.

Steve

Re: schemaless slow indexing

Posted by Steve Rowe <sa...@gmail.com>.

<https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/solr/Schema+API#SchemaAPI-AddaNewCopyFieldRule>

Re: schemaless slow indexing

Posted by Alexandre Rafalovitch <ar...@gmail.com>.
Yonik, those are all facts. Which I do not disagree with at all.

But there are also consequences when you bring the rest of the facts
and the assumptions and documented workflows into play. My comment was
trying to address the situation on that level

I am all for improving performance. I am just saying that the
copyField did not seem to be an oversight. So, if we just kill it,
something else will suffer. So, killing it may need a corresponding
re-balancing in ??? (documentation?).

For example, I am not even sure if we can create a copyField
definition via REST API yet. Without that, and without global
copyField, what is our default search? And if schemaless makes it
easier to get started, that must cover easy to actually search too, I
would guess!

I am not sure if this makes sense?

Regards,
   Alex.
----
Solr Analyzers, Tokenizers, Filters, URPs and even a newsletter:
http://www.solr-start.com/

Posted by Yonik Seeley <ys...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Alexandre Rafalovitch <ar...@gmail.com>.
I looked at SOLR-7290, but I think the discussion should stay on the
mailing list for at least one more iteration.

My understanding that the reason copyField exists is so that a search
actually worked out of the box. Without knowing the field names, one
cannot say what to search. So, the copyField to a general field and
search that is a classic strategy. Though usually it is not with a
*match all* wildcard. But for schemaless, *match all* is all we get as
we don't even have prefix/suffix strategies to rely on.

So, saying *remove* without offering an alternative way to achieve
easy search is not - to me - a terribly useful contribution for a
default setup.

Regards,
    Alex.
P.s. As to the field renaming, I have no opinion. It would be nice if
somebody checked the consistency now that a couple more special names
were introduced with smart JSON parsing.

----

Posted by Erick Erickson <er...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Mike Murphy <mm...@gmail.com>.
That's it!

Posted by Yonik Seeley <ys...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Alexandre Rafalovitch <ar...@gmail.com>.
Same data with same version of Solr with the only difference between
Schema vs. Schemaless? How much longer, 10%, 2x, 20x?

Schemaless mode has a much more complex UpdateRequestProcessor chain,
that's partially what makes it schemaless. But I hesitate pointing
fingers at that without any real details.

Notice I am still asking the same questions as Erick!
----

Posted by Mike Murphy <mm...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Erick Erickson <er...@gmail.com>.