Posted to users@qpid.apache.org by Ken Giusti <kg...@redhat.com> on 2016/09/09 14:37:15 UTC

FYI: Apache Qpid Dispatch Router and Openstack

Folks,

Thought this might be of interest to those members of the community that deal with Openstack.  Otherwise... nevermind!

There is a project in Openstack that provides a high-level abstraction for remote procedure call (RPC) and Pub-Sub messaging services in python [1].  This abstraction is used by the various projects in Openstack for inter-project communication and notification services.

This project - known as Oslo.Messaging - provides this abstraction over a couple of different messaging protocols, including AMQP 1.0.

Andy Smith and I maintain the AMQP 1.0 driver for this project.  The driver uses the Qpid Proton python binding for AMQP 1.0 support.  The project's CI uses the Qpid C++ broker for testing AMQP 1.0 support.

Up to this point in time Openstack deployers were restricted to using broker-based messaging backends like qpidd. With the latest release of Oslo.messaging [2] Andy and I have added the Qpid Dispatch Router as a supported backend.  This means that Openstack deployers can now use the router as the messaging bus for their cloud.  Using the router as a backend allows for a  distributed and redundant messaging service quite different from what is possible with a stand-alone broker.

For more details see the feature proposal we wrote explaining the advantages of a routed messaging mesh [3]. See [4] for Qpid Dispatch Router and qpidd configuration details.  The code is available via git [5].

-K

[1] http://docs.openstack.org/developer/oslo.messaging/
[2] https://pypi.python.org/pypi/oslo.messaging/5.10.0
[3] https://specs.openstack.org/openstack/oslo-specs/specs/newton/amqp-dispatch-router.html