Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Matt Benson <gu...@yahoo.com> on 2007/01/05 00:32:03 UTC

[jxpath] 1.3

Hi, for those of you who haven't encountered me
lurking on commons-dev for the past year or two, I'm a
member of the Ant PMC and a commons user.  I'm also a
committer to commons-openpgp in the sandbox but
haven't done much there (yet?).  :(  Finally, I
suffered a burst of commons-collections contributions
last summer or sometime thereabouts.

  Now that I've (hopefully sufficiently) introduced
myself, I'll get to the point:  I see that there is
some user demand for a new release of jxpath; indeed I
am a user who would also benefit from a release,
always preferable to explaining to your peers why you
insist on using nightlies... ;)  I'd like to offer to
help with whatever tasks are necessary to push jxpath
to a 1.3 release.  I think Dmitri still lurks here but
best I can tell he's got other things to do.  Plus I
suppose you eventually don't really feel like
continuing to look at the same old code, impressive
though the jxpath code is...

Can somebody (Henri?) offer advice on what I and/or
other members of the (user and/or Apache committer)
community might do to get the ball rolling?

br,
Matt

Re: [jxpath] 1.3

Posted by Niall Pemberton <ni...@gmail.com>.
On 1/5/07, Matt Benson <gu...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> --- Niall Pemberton <ni...@gmail.com> wrote:
> [SNIP]
> > I've just updated the JXPath maven1 build to bring
> > it up to date with
> > current commons practices (site should be available
> > to see in a couple
> > of hours after the next sync)

> Whew!  I'm glad I didn't have to do *THAT*.  For
> obvious reasons my Maven-fu is at a level of about
> 0.5% .  ;)  Thanks for all your work so far, Niall.
>
> > I think the next thing to do is review the
> > outstanding JIRA tickets
> > and assign those that need to be resolved to 1.3 or
> > post 1.3 (I've
> > created versions for both these for JXPath)
> >

> My personal evaluations:
>
> Straightforward, easy fixes for 1.3:
> JXPATH-75
> JXPATH-73
> JXPATH-38
> JXPATH-12
>
> Issues that can probably be resolved by virtue of
> their already containing solutions in varying degrees
> of completeness/readiness for integration (I will try
> to have a look at these):
> JXPATH-68
> JXPATH-50
> JXPATH-10
>
> Issues that should be looked at to further determine
> severity/simplicity to fix (again, I'll try to check
> into):
> JXPATH-20
> JXPATH-69
>
> JXPATH-71 should be marked as a duplicate of JXPATH-5.
>  JXPATH-74 should be closed as invalid by the
> submitter's recommendation.  Finally, JXPATH-67 should
> almost certainly be deferred for now.

Good stuff - I've updated Jira with your initial review - which
provides a plan of action - 8 issues to sort out, 3 to decide about
and 1 for the future:

  http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JXPATH

The other task to sort out is release notes of changes since the last
release in August 2004! I uploaded a changes reports shows all commits
since the last release and where the commits referenced a Bugzilla Id
- I updated the Jira ticket to add 1.3 as the fix version. So Jira can
give us the starting point for the release notes - except for a number
of commits which didn't have an issue#

http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/jxpath/changelog-report.html

http://svn.apache.org/viewvc?view=rev&revision=158012 (related to r157432)
http://svn.apache.org/viewvc?view=rev&revision=158013 (related to r157432)
http://svn.apache.org/viewvc?view=rev&revision=329482 (related to r329481)

I think the first place to start is to try and see if any of the above
match with existing closed tickets - I'll have a look at that.

Niall

P.S. I'm happy to help with getting build/site stuff fixed and the
mechanics of getting a release out - but I don't know I'll actually
find time to fix bugs - hopefully we'll get you doing that :-)

Re: [jxpath] 1.3

Posted by Matt Benson <gu...@yahoo.com>.
Niall, thanks again for your continued attention.  I
am still looking, as you can probably tell, and I see
that I need to revise my evaluations below.  JXPATH-68
belongs in the third group (needs patch) rather than
the second (evaluate patch).

br,
Matt

Re: [jxpath] 1.3

Posted by Matt Benson <gu...@yahoo.com>.

Re: [jxpath] 1.3

Posted by Niall Pemberton <ni...@gmail.com>.
On 1/5/07, Stephen Colebourne <sc...@btopenworld.com> wrote:
> Matt Benson wrote:
> > Can somebody (Henri?) offer advice on what I and/or
> > other members of the (user and/or Apache committer)
> > community might do to get the ball rolling?
>
> Some things to think about:
> - updating the license in each source file to the latest ASF standards
> - update the xdocs site generation to fit better with other components:
>   -- see http://wiki.apache.org/jakarta-commons/MavenWebsiteStucture
>   -- update home page with documentation/releases/support section
>   -- add cvs-usage.xml, issue-tracking.xml
> - compare project.xml to other components

Henri updated JXPath to bring the source file headers inline with
current ASF policy a few weeks ago.

Re: [jxpath] 1.3

Posted by Stephen Colebourne <sc...@btopenworld.com>.

Re: [jxpath] 1.3

Posted by Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com>.
On 1/4/07, Matt Benson <gu...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hi, for those of you who haven't encountered me
> lurking on commons-dev for the past year or two, I'm a
> member of the Ant PMC and a commons user.  I'm also a
> committer to commons-openpgp in the sandbox but
> haven't done much there (yet?).  :(  Finally, I
> suffered a burst of commons-collections contributions
> last summer or sometime thereabouts.
>
>   Now that I've (hopefully sufficiently) introduced
> myself, I'll get to the point:  I see that there is
> some user demand for a new release of jxpath; indeed I
> am a user who would also benefit from a release,
> always preferable to explaining to your peers why you
> insist on using nightlies... ;)  I'd like to offer to
> help with whatever tasks are necessary to push jxpath
> to a 1.3 release.  I think Dmitri still lurks here but
> best I can tell he's got other things to do.  Plus I
> suppose you eventually don't really feel like
> continuing to look at the same old code, impressive
> though the jxpath code is...
>
> Can somebody (Henri?) offer advice on what I and/or
> other members of the (user and/or Apache committer)
> community might do to get the ball rolling?

My general spiel is that someone who isn't a committer to a project
can heavily influence a release - and then I explain how unit tests
and patches to the JIRA, release organization on a wiki and prodding
of the mail list can be 90% of the work in getting something out.

http://wiki.apache.org/jakarta-taglibs/Standard_1%2e1%2e3 is an
example - bit of a limited one as I'm a Taglibs committer, but I am
taking two roles in it, external user and then later committer closing
issues and applying patches.

In your case as an existing ASF committer - I'm +1 to your being a
Jakarta committer and getting stuck in on getting a jxpath release
out. If Ant hadn't have left Jakarta right at the beginning of the TLP
migration you'd have been a Jakarta committer anyway. [See vote thread
:) ].

Hen