Posted to users@directory.apache.org by Emmanuel Lécharny <el...@gmail.com> on 2014/08/01 00:25:19 UTC

Re: Max Concurrent LDAP Connections to ApacheDS server

Le 31/07/2014 23:35, nduan@dtechspace.com a écrit :
> What is the max concurrent connections that ApacheDS can handle?

There is no fixed limit. You will hit your OS limit first.

> Is there anyway to configure the connection parameters (e.g. number of
> max connections/threads) in ApacheDS?

You can configure the number of underlying threads, but I suggest you
don't. It won't gives you a lot of perf improvement. Basically, the
number of threads is automatically selected based on the number of CPU
you have.

Re: Max Concurrent LDAP Connections to ApacheDS server

Posted by Emmanuel Lécharny <el...@gmail.com>.
Le 01/08/2014 06:30, Nick Duan a écrit :
> We are in the process of evaluating various open source LDAPs and performing different performance tests.   Has anyone done such performance testing?  We have implementing an identity providers and we want to know how many concurrent users we can support.
>
> If I turn on the debugging mode in ApacheDS, would that indicates the number of connections that open?

Again, this is not a good criteria. ApacheDS is based on NIO, which
multiplexes the connections across a few number of threads. You can have
millions of connections on the server, if none is active, the server
will be responsive. The real issue is with active connections (ie
connections where you have traffic). It's not because you can susyain
millions of conection that your server can handle the load. In fact it's
totally irrelevant.

Regarding the performances tests, I'd suggest you read
http://fr.slideshare.net/ldapcon/benchmarks-on-ldap-directories

As you can see, ApacheDS is not the fastest LDAP server on earth. There
are many reasons for that, but mainly because the backend we are working
on is just slowatm, and we are working hard on replacing it. Also note
that the servers depening on a BerkeleyDB backen will sooner or later
have an issue with the license, as BDB licnese has recently changed and
is not anymore Open Source.

Hope it helps.

RE: Max Concurrent LDAP Connections to ApacheDS server

Posted by Nick Duan <nd...@dtechspace.com>.
We are in the process of evaluating various open source LDAPs and performing different performance tests.   Has anyone done such performance testing?  We have implementing an identity providers and we want to know how many concurrent users we can support.

If I turn on the debugging mode in ApacheDS, would that indicates the number of connections that open?

Thanks!

ND

Le 01/08/2014 05:04, Nick Duan a écrit :
> Thanks Emmanuel.   Is there any way to know or monitor the number of concurrent connections in ApacheDS?  Thanks!

>From the top of my head, there are some possibility to monitor the number of opened session in MINA (the underlying network layer). In ApacheDS, we are not -yet - exposing the number of connections. We should...

What is your need exactly ?

Re: Max Concurrent LDAP Connections to ApacheDS server

Posted by Emmanuel Lécharny <el...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Nick Duan <nd...@dtechspace.com>.