Posted to user@jmeter.apache.org by puneet jagtiani <pu...@yahoo.co.in> on 2007/09/04 09:10:09 UTC

Variation in response time Using Jmeter

Hi,
I am using Jmeter for performance testing of one of the application. I am encountering a lot of variation in response times between LoadRunner, Rational Robot and Jmeter

Jmeter Version : Version 2.2
JDK and JRE Version :1_5_0_12

Average Response times

Jmeter:

Homepage: 11.156Sec.
Search : 22.407Sec

Rational Robot

Homepage: 6.57Sec
Search : 10.17Sec

LoadRunner:

Homepage: 6.017Sec
Search: 8.017

u can see there is difference of 12 seconds in response time of Loadrunner and Jmeter. Help anyone help me to know why its so and how i can over come this problem.

Its Very URGENT

Thanks
Puneet

---------------------------------
 5, 50, 500, 5000 - Store N number of mails in your inbox. Click here.

RE: Variation in response time Using Jmeter

Posted by iblavins <ib...@temenos.com>.
G'day

Also worth considering whether the JMeter JVM has enough memory. If it
doesn't the JVM will spend a lot of time garbage collection. The JVM does
not useful work while garbage collecting but the real time ticks away and
this will give you longer response times.

Easiest way to see if this is significant is to use the JMeter parameters to
give JMeter a lot more memory and then see if it makes any difference to the
average response time.

Ian Blavins
Contract Performance Engineer
Temenos

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by puneet jagtiani <pu...@yahoo.co.in>.
Hi Sebb,

 wrote:
> Response size is same
>
> sebb  wrote: Any error messages in jmeter.log?
>
> Might be worth temporarily adding a View Results in Table Listener;
> this will show the data sizes, as well as individual times.
>
> What does the Summary report show for min and max, and how do these
> compare with the other test tools?
>
> On 04/09/07, puneet jagtiani
>  wrote:
> > I am using HTTP Request sampler,
> > I am recording script through HTTP proxy server.
> > I am sure i am downloading same amount of data and generating same load of 1 user. I am calculating average through summary report
> >
> > sebb  wrote: Which HTTP Sampler are you using?
> > Are you using http: or https:?
> >
> > Are you sure that you are downloading the same amount of data in each test?
> > Server responses may vary with the headers that are sent.
> >
> > Are you sure that you are generating the same load on the server in each test?
> > Server response may vary if the load varies.
> >
> > How are you calculating the averages?
> > The individual sample times shown by JMeter only include the actual
> > sample time, but if you are using overall elapsed times and then
> > dividing by the number of samples, these will be affected by
> > assertions, and other test elements.
> >
> > S.
> > On 04/09/07, puneet jagtiani
> >  wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > > I am using Jmeter for performance testing of one of the application. I am encountering a lot of variation in response times between LoadRunner, Rational Robot and Jmeter
> > >
> > > Jmeter Version : Version 2.2
> > > JDK and JRE Version :1_5_0_12
> > >
> > > Average Response times
> > >
> > > Jmeter:
> > >
> > > Homepage: 11.156Sec.
> > > Search : 22.407Sec

> > > Rational Robot
> > >
> > > Homepage: 6.57Sec
> > > Search : 10.17Sec

> > > LoadRunner:
> > >
> > > Homepage: 6.017Sec
> > > Search: 8.017

> > > u can see there is difference of 12 seconds in response time of Loadrunner and Jmeter. Help anyone help me to know why its so and how i can over come this problem.
> > >
> > > Its Very URGENT
> > >
> > > Thanks
> > > Puneet

---------------------------------
 DELETE button is history. Unlimited mail storage is just a click away.

Re: Variation in response time Using Jmeter

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by puneet jagtiani <pu...@yahoo.co.in>.
Response size is same

 wrote:
> I am using HTTP Request sampler,
> I am recording script through HTTP proxy server.
> I am sure i am downloading same amount of data and generating same load of 1 user. I am calculating average through summary report
>
> sebb  wrote: Which HTTP Sampler are you using?
> Are you using http: or https:?
>
> Are you sure that you are downloading the same amount of data in each test?
> Server responses may vary with the headers that are sent.
>
> Are you sure that you are generating the same load on the server in each test?
> Server response may vary if the load varies.
>
> How are you calculating the averages?
> The individual sample times shown by JMeter only include the actual
> sample time, but if you are using overall elapsed times and then
> dividing by the number of samples, these will be affected by
> assertions, and other test elements.
>
> S.
> On 04/09/07, puneet jagtiani
>  wrote:
> > Hi,
> > I am using Jmeter for performance testing of one of the application. I am encountering a lot of variation in response times between LoadRunner, Rational Robot and Jmeter
> >
> > Jmeter Version : Version 2.2
> > JDK and JRE Version :1_5_0_12
> >
> > Average Response times
> >
> > Jmeter:
> >
> > Homepage: 11.156Sec.
> > Search : 22.407Sec

> > Rational Robot
> >
> > Homepage: 6.57Sec
> > Search : 10.17Sec

> > LoadRunner:
> >
> > Homepage: 6.017Sec
> > Search: 8.017

> > u can see there is difference of 12 seconds in response time of Loadrunner and Jmeter. Help anyone help me to know why its so and how i can over come this problem.
> >
> > Its Very URGENT
> >
> > Thanks
> > Puneet

---------------------------------
 Did you know? You can CHAT without downloading messenger.  Click here

Re: Constant throughput timer

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
Remember that Timers are applied to ALL samplers in scope. Make sure
it is not being applied more than once.

Constant throughput timer

Posted by David Schulberg <Da...@objectconsulting.com.au>.
Hi All,

I have a thread group for which I have 10 threads looping 10 times and I have 7 samplers in the thread group. I let the requests run until completion and that takes 2 mins consistently.

Now I add a 'Constant Throughput Timer' at the same scope as my samplers to throttle the throughput to 245 requests per minute. I expect the time taken to be just under 3 mins to get through the 700 samples.

However I find that the time taken is actually more like 3.5 mins. How come?

Regards,
David Schulberg

Object Consulting | Senior Consultant
email: david.schulberg@objectconsulting.com.au
consulting | development | training | support
our experience makes the difference

Re: Variation in response time Using Jmeter

Posted by puneet jagtiani <pu...@yahoo.co.in>.
There is no error in jmeter.log and even the maximum and min time is high

 wrote:
> I am using HTTP Request sampler,
> I am recording script through HTTP proxy server.
> I am sure i am downloading same amount of data and generating same load of 1 user. I am calculating average through summary report
>
> sebb  wrote: Which HTTP Sampler are you using?
> Are you using http: or https:?
>
> Are you sure that you are downloading the same amount of data in each test?
> Server responses may vary with the headers that are sent.
>
> Are you sure that you are generating the same load on the server in each test?
> Server response may vary if the load varies.
>
> How are you calculating the averages?
> The individual sample times shown by JMeter only include the actual
> sample time, but if you are using overall elapsed times and then
> dividing by the number of samples, these will be affected by
> assertions, and other test elements.
>
> S.
> On 04/09/07, puneet jagtiani
>  wrote:
> > Hi,
> > I am using Jmeter for performance testing of one of the application. I am encountering a lot of variation in response times between LoadRunner, Rational Robot and Jmeter
> >
> > Jmeter Version : Version 2.2
> > JDK and JRE Version :1_5_0_12
> >
> > Average Response times
> >
> > Jmeter:
> >
> > Homepage: 11.156Sec.
> > Search : 22.407Sec

> > Rational Robot
> >
> > Homepage: 6.57Sec
> > Search : 10.17Sec

> > LoadRunner:
> >
> > Homepage: 6.017Sec
> > Search: 8.017

> > u can see there is difference of 12 seconds in response time of Loadrunner and Jmeter. Help anyone help me to know why its so and how i can over come this problem.
> >
> > Its Very URGENT
> >
> > Thanks
> > Puneet

 Try the revolutionary next-gen Yahoo! Mail. Click here.

Re: Variation in response time Using Jmeter

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by puneet jagtiani <pu...@yahoo.co.in>.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.