Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by John Michael <jo...@acadiacom.net> on 2002/01/12 12:51:42 UTC

confused and need help

Hi
I wanted to update my apache and mod-perl install.
I stated to do it and found that I needed the LWP module which requires some other modules first.
I got all of them on untill I needed the libnet module.
ALl of the other modules I installed by hand and having no problems until I needed the libnet module. I could only find it in the Bundle::libnet module and that has to be run from the CPAN module.  In an attempt to install Bundle::libnet which you have to do through CPAN it seems that CPAN installed another version of perl on my server in
usr/local/lib/perl5/5.6.1
I already have a version in
usr/lib/perl5/5.6.0

Did it automatically try to update my version?

When I run
perl -MCPAN -e shell
it is being run from the 5.6.1 version at usr/local and therefore does not find any of the other modules I already have installed.
I know this because it uses the cpan config file in that location and also the dependencies that it is showing are already installed in the other location.

Can I just delete the 5.6.1 version off of my server?

How do I get the 5.6.0 version of cpan to run and the server to recognize this?

Also, I am running a mod-perl server and have many scripts running under it.
How does the server know which version to use?

Am I going to have some problems?

I'm not sure what to do at this point and don't know where to look.

I now have to versions of perl on my server.  I assume there is a file somewhere that tells the computer which one to use when you type perl from the command line.  What should I do?

Thanks
John Michel

Re: confused and need help

Posted by Ged Haywood <ge...@www2.jubileegroup.co.uk>.
Hi there,

On Sat, 12 Jan 2002, John Michael wrote:

> I wanted to update my apache and mod-perl install.

Hmmmm.  I take it you had a good reason for doing this?

> I stated to do it and [snip]
> usr/local/lib/perl5/5.6.1
> I already have a version in
> usr/lib/perl5/5.6.0
>
> Did it automatically try to update my version?

Yes.  Don't worry, 5.6.1 is better than 5.6.0 - a lot better.
But if you get the latest version of CPAN.pm it won't do that
any more.

> When I run perl -MCPAN -e shell it is being run from the 5.6.1
> version at usr/local and therefore does not find any of the other
> modules I already have installed.

It might be best to install the latest CPAN.pm and use that to install
everything you need again.  It won't take long and you will know then
that the installation is reliable.  Then grab the source tarballs and
rebuild Apache and modperl from scratch, recompiling as per the
instructions in the Guide <http://perl.apache.org/guide>.  You don't
say waht versions of Apache and mod_perl you were using, so I don't
know how much configuration work will be necessary.

> Can I just delete the 5.6.1 version off of my server?

Don't do that.

> How do I get the 5.6.0 version of cpan to run and the server to recognize this?

There is no version 5.6.0 of CPAN.pm, my versions are around 1.58/1.59
depending on the machine.  It's a Perl module which can run with a
number of different versions of Perl.  I use Perl versions 5.005_03
and 5.7.0, I had trouble with 5.6.0 and started using 5.7.0 for that
reason.  5.6.0 wasn't out when I grabbed 5.7.0, but I've had no real
troubles with 5.7.0 even on fairly big systems.

> Also, I am running a mod-perl server and have many scripts running under it.
> How does the server know which version to use?

That's set when you compile mod_perl.  Read the Guide and the Eagle Book
("Writing Apache Modules with Perl and C", ISBN 1-56592-567-X).

> Am I going to have some problems?

Only if you don't stop and think about what you're doing.