Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by Joerg Heinicke <jo...@gmx.de> on 2003/07/01 17:52:57 UTC

[Fwd: RE: Link Livesites: http://www.ctg.albany.edu]

FYI

Joerg

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: RE: Link Livesites: http://www.ctg.albany.edu
Date: Tue, 1 Jul 2003 09:03:26 -0400
From: Jim Costello <JC...@ctg.albany.edu>
To: 'Joerg Heinicke' <jo...@gmx.de>

Joerg and Derek,
   The white paper (which is nearly a year old) on our Web site does refer to
XML applications we had developed using Cocoon 1, so that's why there is no
mention of the sitemap of Cocoon2. In fact, that paper is directed to a
general web site audience who may be wondering about the
advantages/drawbacks of moving from an HTML-based website to an XML-based
website. So while we do mention Cocoon since we use it, we primarily focused
on general use of XML/XSL.
   The Web site itself uses Cocoon 2 - with the sitemap performing the
functions as noted below of associating stylesheets with XML files - but we
didn't start using Cocoon 2 until after we had written the paper. However,
in Cocoon 1 the separation of content/style/logic was still achieved when
properly implemented within the Cocoon 1 framework. So I don't think the
point is incorrect, although I see where it may be a bit misleading or
confusing to someone who is familiar with Cocoon. We can look to clarify
this in the paper by stating that our references are to Cocoon 1 and that
Cocoon 2 handles these things differently and more effectively through its
use of the sitemap. But again, the paper is primarily directed to a general
audience (not Cocoon specific) and not surprisingly, one of the main
questions we'd hear when developing the paper was from Web developers who
were familiar with HTML and JavaScript etc., but not too familiar with XML,
and asked how you "connected" your XML files with your XSL stylesheets. That
basic separation of content from style is still a big mystery to many HTML
users. So that's why we explicitly mention the connection using processing
instructions in the paper.
   Thanks for the comments. We'll try to clear up some of its misleading
elements.

Jim Costello
Web Application Developer
Center for Technology in Govenment