Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Marc Slemko <ma...@worldgate.com> on 1998/02/24 05:25:59 UTC

Apache "ports" system

Look at FreeBSD's ports system.  (I take this above RPMs just because I'm
more used to it and it does source + patches more while RPM does binaries
more.  No, that isn't the way it has to be.)

Then consider a similar thing for Apache.

A huge collection of "stuff", including modules, CGIs, etc. for Apache.

All gathered together.

Easy to download.

Easy to install; no manual recompiling, etc. needed.  Just go to the right
one and say "install".  It wouldn't have to actually include sources, just
know to autofetch them.  This means you can avoid copyright issues.

Quickstart docs included.

Create a special file referencing the Apache layout on your system so
things can be magically installed.

You want a hit counter?  (two lines) install, all configured, etc.

You want htdig?  (two lines) install, all configured, etc.

This would not only be a useful resource, but would provide useful insight
on what is needed to make Apache easier for third-party vendors to sell
stuff for.

Re: Apache "ports" system

Posted by Ben Laurie <be...@algroup.co.uk>.
Marc Slemko wrote:

> Look at FreeBSD's ports system.  (I take this above RPMs just because I'm
> more used to it and it does source + patches more while RPM does binaries
> more.  No, that isn't the way it has to be.)
>
> Then consider a similar thing for Apache.
>
> A huge collection of "stuff", including modules, CGIs, etc. for Apache.
>
> All gathered together.
>
> Easy to download.
>
> Easy to install; no manual recompiling, etc. needed.  Just go to the right
> one and say "install".  It wouldn't have to actually include sources, just
> know to autofetch them.  This means you can avoid copyright issues.
>
> Quickstart docs included.
>
> Create a special file referencing the Apache layout on your system so
> things can be magically installed.
>
> You want a hit counter?  (two lines) install, all configured, etc.
>
> You want htdig?  (two lines) install, all configured, etc.
>
> This would not only be a useful resource, but would provide useful insight
> on what is needed to make Apache easier for third-party vendors to sell
> stuff for.

I like this idea. A model worth looking at, IMO, is CPAN. The
instructions for that are trivial! In fact, it may even be possible to
use CPAN (ok, we aren't talking Perl modules here, but mod_perl will
install under CPAN, for instance).

Cheers,

Ben.

Re: Apache "ports" system

Posted by Dean Gaudet <dg...@arctic.org>.
I'm pretty certain there's rpm for solaris already, I've seen solaris
rpms.

Dean

Re: Apache "ports" system

Posted by Marc Slemko <ma...@worldgate.com>.

Re: Apache "ports" system

Posted by Rob Hartill <ro...@imdb.com>.
On Mon, 23 Feb 1998, Marc Slemko wrote:

> Look at FreeBSD's ports system.  (I take this above RPMs just because I'm
> more used to it and it does source + patches more while RPM does binaries
> more.  No, that isn't the way it has to be.)
>
> Then consider a similar thing for Apache.
>
> A huge collection of "stuff", including modules, CGIs, etc. for Apache.
>
> All gathered together.
>
> Easy to download.
>
> Easy to install; no manual recompiling, etc. needed.  Just go to the right
> one and say "install".  It wouldn't have to actually include sources, just
> know to autofetch them.  This means you can avoid copyright issues.

Isn't there a big difference here in that the FreeBSD and other OS
'ports' systems have an advantage since they start with the safe
assumption that you have an OS with known properties.

The more complex the software being offered, the less likely it'll
be to install/work first time on various platforms.

Worth trying nevertheless.