Posted to users@solr.apache.org by Steffen Moldenhauer <s....@intershop.de.INVALID> on 2022/03/21 16:27:51 UTC

Using Schema API breaks the Upload of Config Set file

Hi,

Solr 8.11.1
When I use the Schema API to change the schema in a config set the UPLOAD of a file to this config set does not work anymore.
It seems the Schema API changes the metadata that is stored at the config set node.
There is a '{trusted=false}' / '{trusted=true} or an empty "no utf8 Content" but after the Schema API call it is  replaced by a single 0 byte. As a result the following upload of a file with Configset API throws a json parse error.
Shouldn't the node keep the no content/trusted info?

Regards
Steffen

Steps to reproduce and full stacktrace below:
Run solr cloud example:  solr -e cloud -p 8984
Create Config set from _default: http://localhost:8984/solr/admin/configs?action=CREATE&name=test&baseName=_default
Create Collection with Config set 'test': http://localhost:8984/solr/admin/collections?action=CREATE&name=test&collection.configName=test&numShards=1

add field with Schema API call:
curl -X POST -H 'Content-Type: application/json' -i http://localhost:8984/solr/test/schema --data '{
  "add-field":{
     "name":"my-field",
     "type":"string",
     "stored":true }
}'

Create a file test.json and try to upload it:
curl -X POST --header "Content-Type:application/json" --data-binary @test.json "http://localhost:8983/solr/admin/configs?action=UPLOAD&name=test&filePath=test.json&wt=xml&omitHeader=true"

Response:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<response>

<lst name="error">
  <str name="msg">JSON Parse Error: char=#0;,position=0 AFTER='#0;' BEFORE=''</str>
  <str name="trace">org.noggit.JSONParser$ParseException: JSON Parse Error: char=#0;,position=0 AFTER='#0;' BEFORE=''
        at org.noggit.JSONParser.err(JSONParser.java:452)
        at org.noggit.JSONParser.handleNonDoubleQuoteString(JSONParser.java:819)
        at org.noggit.JSONParser.next(JSONParser.java:1026)
        at org.noggit.JSONParser.nextEvent(JSONParser.java:1073)
        at org.noggit.ObjectBuilder.&lt;init&gt;(ObjectBuilder.java:84)
        at org.apache.solr.common.util.Utils.lambda$static$1(Utils.java:356)
        at org.apache.solr.common.util.Utils.fromJSON(Utils.java:319)
        at org.apache.solr.common.util.Utils.fromJSON(Utils.java:305)
        at org.apache.solr.handler.admin.ConfigSetsHandler.isCurrentlyTrusted(ConfigSetsHandler.java:328)
        at org.apache.solr.handler.admin.ConfigSetsHandler.ensureOverwritingUntrustedConfigSet(ConfigSetsHandler.java:308)
        at org.apache.solr.handler.admin.ConfigSetsHandler.createBaseZnode(ConfigSetsHandler.java:269)
        at org.apache.solr.handler.admin.ConfigSetsHandler.handleConfigUploadRequest(ConfigSetsHandler.java:205)
        at org.apache.solr.handler.admin.ConfigSetsHandler.handleRequestBody(ConfigSetsHandler.java:113)
        at org.apache.solr.handler.RequestHandlerBase.handleRequest(RequestHandlerBase.java:216)
        at org.apache.solr.servlet.HttpSolrCall.handleAdmin(HttpSolrCall.java:836)
        at org.apache.solr.servlet.HttpSolrCall.handleAdminRequest(HttpSolrCall.java:800)
        at org.apache.solr.servlet.HttpSolrCall.call(HttpSolrCall.java:545)
        at org.apache.solr.servlet.SolrDispatchFilter.doFilter(SolrDispatchFilter.java:427)
        at org.apache.solr.servlet.SolrDispatchFilter.doFilter(SolrDispatchFilter.java:357)
        at org.eclipse.jetty.servlet.FilterHolder.doFilter(FilterHolder.java:201)
        at org.eclipse.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler$Chain.doFilter(ServletHandler.java:1601)
        at org.eclipse.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler.doHandle(ServletHandler.java:548)
        at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.ScopedHandler.handle(ScopedHandler.java:143)
        at org.eclipse.jetty.security.SecurityHandler.handle(SecurityHandler.java:600)
        at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.HandlerWrapper.handle(HandlerWrapper.java:127)
        at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.ScopedHandler.nextHandle(ScopedHandler.java:235)
        at org.eclipse.jetty.server.session.SessionHandler.doHandle(SessionHandler.java:1624)
        at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.ScopedHandler.nextHandle(ScopedHandler.java:233)
        at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.ContextHandler.doHandle(ContextHandler.java:1434)
        at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.ScopedHandler.nextScope(ScopedHandler.java:188)
        at org.eclipse.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler.doScope(ServletHandler.java:501)
        at org.eclipse.jetty.server.session.SessionHandler.doScope(SessionHandler.java:1594)
        at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.ScopedHandler.nextScope(ScopedHandler.java:186)
        at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.ContextHandler.doScope(ContextHandler.java:1349)
        at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.ScopedHandler.handle(ScopedHandler.java:141)
        at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.ContextHandlerCollection.handle(ContextHandlerCollection.java:191)
        at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.InetAccessHandler.handle(InetAccessHandler.java:177)
        at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.HandlerCollection.handle(HandlerCollection.java:146)
        at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.HandlerWrapper.handle(HandlerWrapper.java:127)
        at org.eclipse.jetty.rewrite.handler.RewriteHandler.handle(RewriteHandler.java:322)
        at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.gzip.GzipHandler.handle(GzipHandler.java:763)
        at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.HandlerWrapper.handle(HandlerWrapper.java:127)
        at org.eclipse.jetty.server.HttpChannel.lambda$handle$1(HttpChannel.java:400)
        at org.eclipse.jetty.server.HttpChannel.dispatch(HttpChannel.java:645)
        at org.eclipse.jetty.server.HttpChannel.handle(HttpChannel.java:392)
        at org.eclipse.jetty.server.HttpConnection.onFillable(HttpConnection.java:277)
        at org.eclipse.jetty.io.AbstractConnection$ReadCallback.succeeded(AbstractConnection.java:311)
        at org.eclipse.jetty.io.FillInterest.fillable(FillInterest.java:105)
        at org.eclipse.jetty.io.ChannelEndPoint$1.run(ChannelEndPoint.java:104)
        at org.eclipse.jetty.util.thread.strategy.EatWhatYouKill.runTask(EatWhatYouKill.java:338)
        at org.eclipse.jetty.util.thread.strategy.EatWhatYouKill.doProduce(EatWhatYouKill.java:315)
        at org.eclipse.jetty.util.thread.strategy.EatWhatYouKill.tryProduce(EatWhatYouKill.java:173)
        at org.eclipse.jetty.util.thread.strategy.EatWhatYouKill.run(EatWhatYouKill.java:131)
        at org.eclipse.jetty.util.thread.ReservedThreadExecutor$ReservedThread.run(ReservedThreadExecutor.java:409)
        at org.eclipse.jetty.util.thread.QueuedThreadPool.runJob(QueuedThreadPool.java:883)
        at org.eclipse.jetty.util.thread.QueuedThreadPool$Runner.run(QueuedThreadPool.java:1034)
        at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:748)
</str>
  <int name="code">500</int>
</lst>
</response>

RE: Using Schema API breaks the Upload of Config Set file

Posted by Steffen Moldenhauer <s....@intershop.de.INVALID>.
> > > This does sound like a bug ;-(.
>
> So I will create a bug report for this.

Tracked it in JIRA SOLR-16110 Using Schema/Config API breaks the File-Upload of Config Set File

RE: Using Schema API breaks the Upload of Config Set file

Posted by Steffen Moldenhauer <s....@intershop.de.INVALID>.
> From: Adam Constabaris <aj...@ncsu.edu.INVALID>
> encountering.  At any rate, in one project out there at least, we've adopted a
> policy of not mixing ZK uploads and API-based changes for configsets, and
> you might take a look at the configoverlay.json file to see if the problem
> resides in there.

I didn't used the config API to change the config with the configoverlay.json in the past.
But I tried it right now. With:
curl -X POST -H 'Content-Type: application/json' -i http://localhost:8984/solr/test/config --data '{"set-property":{"updateHandler.autoSoftCommit.maxTime":"3000"}}'

the configoverlay.json in the config set gets created - and this will also lead to the same error when I try to Upload a file afterwards.

Posted by Adam Constabaris <aj...@ncsu.edu.INVALID>.
I believe that (with versions 6 and 7 at least) a configoverlay.json file
is created in the configset when you edit it via the API, and there is no
easy way to *remove* a single file from a configset via zkcli.sh (or
possibly even with the zk commands if you do things more manually.  In our
case, having the overlay in there alongside some XML configurations caused
problems (I have a note that it was due to multiline strings and JSON not
mixing), but this happened so long ago I'm unclear on whether they match
the ones you're encountering.  At any rate, in one project out there at
least, we've adopted a policy of not mixing ZK uploads and API-based
changes for configsets, and you might take a look at the configoverlay.json
file to see if the problem resides in there.

HTH

Posted by Eric Pugh <ep...@opensourceconnections.com>.
This does sound like a bug ;-(.