Posted to user@pig.apache.org by Vadim Zaliva <kr...@gmail.com> on 2009/03/24 03:18:29 UTC

futex-wait

I am experiencing strange problem. I am trying to start a PIG task in
mapreduce mode and it just hangs there.
Job tracker does not show any tasks running and last message on console is:

2009-03-23 19:10:28,636 [main] INFO
org.apache.pig.backend.hadoop.executionengine.mapReduceLayer.MapReduceLauncher
- 0% complete

strace on java process shows that it hangs in:

futex(0xc449e0, FUTEX_WAIT, 15992, NULL

Any hints on how I can debug this?

Sincerely,
Vadim

Re: futex-wait

Posted by Alan Gates <ga...@yahoo-inc.com>.
A few random thoughts:

Do other map reduce jobs see this problem when running over the same
data set?

Are you using a custom Slicer?  This is invoked to decide how many
maps to create, so if there's a problem there, it might look like this.

Is your input data set large?  I've run pig scripts that load 12T or
so of data, and it takes several minutes to spawn the ~95K maps that
result from that.

Alan.