Posted to dev@apr.apache.org by Bob Rossi <bo...@cox.net> on 2007/04/02 00:04:02 UTC

testing before making a release

Hi,

I've noticed talk about making a tag on the svn branch. Does this
project usually have a call to make sure that a particular version
builds on most platforms before a release is made?

In other words, is there a release candidate?

Thanks,
Bob Rossi

Re: testing before making a release

Posted by "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>.
Subscribe to this list.

ALL ASF projects have a (generally) three day voting period between
creating a tarball and announcing a release.  In that time, it's just
a plain-old-tarball which has not been released at all.

If the vote (of the PMC members) passes with a majority, the release
manager (RM) may declare it released.  If the vote fails, or the RM
retracts it, generally the immediate issues are resolved and a new
tarball (of yet another new version number) is called for a vote.

Short-timeframe votes (1 day or 2 day) are only held when there is
a significant security vulnerability to be immediately addressed.

During the vote, *everyone* is invited to test and provide feedback,
and even non-PMC members are invited to cast a 'vote' which the PMC
members generally consider when they are casting their own votes.

But note we rarely will stop a release for a single-platform quirk
unless the fix is trivial.  Generally if there is a complex problem
on one particular platform, the release would move ahead, and the
devs who play on that particular platform would get to work on the
more complex fix for the subsequent next release.

Hope this explains things,

Bill