Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Christopher Ness <ch...@nesser.org> on 2005/07/05 15:19:36 UTC

OT: Multiple Lists - Filtering multiple mails

Hi all,

I just joined the dev@ list and have been a member of the users list for
a while.  I notice that I'm going to be getting a lot more duplicate
emails.

I would like to parse out the duplicates with a procmail recipe.  Does
anyone have one out there that checks the FROM: TO: && CC: headers for
the three possible email's (personal, users@, dev@) and drops in that
order from left to right.

If mail went to all 3, I'd only get the one from dev@
If mail went to personal and users@ receive message from the users@ list
discard the personal message.

Thanks,
Chris
--
Wireless Group,
McMaster University

finger.localdomain

Re: OT: Multiple Lists - Filtering multiple mails

Posted by Bob Proulx <bo...@proulx.com>.
Christopher Ness wrote:
> I also did another little tweak to specify the usernames I was
> interested in from subversion like so.  Just in case someone has an
> address from that domain.
>
>     * ^TO_.*(dev|users)@subversion\.tigris\.org*

Is that trailing star intended?  Probably not.  :-)

  * ^TO_.*(dev|users)@subversion\.tigris\.org

> The recipe's are working great, but only because all subversion mail is
> going into the same mailbox (keeps threads) and I don't care which
> subversion list gets there first since it's the same message.
>
> Ok, I think this thread is cooked.

Sounds good.

Bob

Re: OT: Multiple Lists - Filtering multiple mails

Posted by Bob Proulx <bo...@proulx.com>.

Posted by Christopher Ness <ch...@nesser.org>.
On Tue, 2005-07-05 at 14:46 -0600, Bob Proulx wrote:
> So maybe?
>
>   :0:
>   * ^TO_.*@nesser\.org*
>   * ^TO_.*@subversion\.tigris\.org*
>   * ! ^Mailing-List.*subversion.tigris.org
>   duplicates

Thanks for the feedback Bob, I also did another little tweak to specify
the usernames I was interested in from subversion like so.  Just in case
someone has an address from that domain.

    * ^TO_.*(dev|users)@subversion\.tigris\.org*

The recipe's are working great, but only because all subversion mail is
going into the same mailbox (keeps threads) and I don't care which
subversion list gets there first since it's the same message.

Ok, I think this thread is cooked.
Thanks for the help.
Chris
--
PGP Public Key: http://www.nesser.org/pgp-key/
19:00:26 up 48 min, 2 users, load average: 0.15, 0.08, 0.08

Re: OT: Multiple Lists - Filtering multiple mails

Posted by Christopher Ness <ch...@nesser.org>.

Posted by Bob Proulx <bo...@proulx.com>.
Christopher Ness wrote:
> 	## Look to see if my personal email is on the list of recipients from a
> 	## "Reply-To-All" button.  People need larger reply to list buttons.

Agreed.  Very strongly!

> 	## Having multiple lines of tests is a logical AND
> 	## Recipe filtering stops on the first delivery - order matters
> 	## ! after the * is a negation of the test
> 	:0:
> 	* ^(To|Cc):.*@nesser\.org*
> 	* ^(To|Cc):.*@subversion\.tigris\.org*
>         * ! ^Mailing-List.*subversion.tigris.org
> 	duplicates

I think using the TO procmail macro might be better here.

       If the regular expression contains ‘^TO_’ it will be substituted by
       ‘(^((Original-)?(Resent-)?(To|Cc|Bcc)|(X-Envelope
       |Apparently(-Resent)?)-To):(.*[^-a-zA-Z0-9_.])?)’, which should catch
       all destination specifications containing a specific address.

Posted by Bob Proulx <bo...@proulx.com>.

Posted by Christopher Ness <ch...@nesser.org>.
On Tue, 2005-07-05 at 11:06 -0600, Bob Proulx wrote:
> Christopher Ness wrote:
> > I just joined the dev@ list and have been a member of the users list for
> > a while.  I notice that I'm going to be getting a lot more duplicate
> > emails.
>
> Such as this one.  (And I don't read the dev list so I don't know what
> discussion follows there, or even if my message will post to it
> because I am not subscribed.)  Crossposting is generally discouraged.

Sadly yes, I thought others might like to benefit from being able to
filter their mail too.

> > If mail went to all 3, I'd only get the one from dev@
> > If mail went to personal and users@ receive message from the users@ list
> > discard the personal message.
>
> You might want to use something like this:
>
>   :0:
>   * ^TO_users@subversion.tigris.org
>   Lists/svn/users

I think this might be the solution - but currently is untested.

  1) Filter out emails that have both my email and subversion
     lists in the recipients, but did not originate from the list
     server.
  2) Filter out duplicates (first list message delivered is saved)
  3) Filter lists from subversion.tigris.org lists into a mailbox.

When I feel confident it is working (perhaps after this test) I plan to
send the files to /dev/null instead of the duplicates maildir.

	## Look to see if my personal email is on the list of recipients from a
	## "Reply-To-All" button.  People need larger reply to list buttons.
	##
	## Having multiple lines of tests is a logical AND
	## Recipe filtering stops on the first delivery - order matters
	## ! after the * is a negation of the test
	:0:
	* ^(To|Cc):.*@nesser\.org*
	* ^(To|Cc):.*@subversion\.tigris\.org*
        * ! ^Mailing-List.*subversion.tigris.org
	duplicates

	# --- handle duplicate email ---
	# http://www.zer0.org/procmail/tony.html
	MESG_ID=mesg_id.cache
	:0 Whc: $MESG_ID.lock
	| formail -D 196608 $MESG_ID
	        :0 a:
	        duplicates

	# Subversion List Rule
	:0:
	* ^Mailing-List.*subversion.tigris.org
	svn

All svn lists go in the same folder.  You could split them out if you'd
like into dev and user by repeating the rule and adding more information
to the reg exp in the List Rule.

Cheers,
Chris

Posted by Christopher Ness <ch...@nesser.org>.
On Tue, 2005-07-05 at 11:06 -0600, Bob Proulx wrote:
> Christopher Ness wrote:
> > I just joined the dev@ list and have been a member of the users list for
> > a while.  I notice that I'm going to be getting a lot more duplicate
> > emails.
>
> Such as this one.  (And I don't read the dev list so I don't know what
> discussion follows there, or even if my message will post to it
> because I am not subscribed.)  Crossposting is generally discouraged.

Sadly yes, I thought others might like to benefit from being able to
filter their mail too.

> > If mail went to all 3, I'd only get the one from dev@
> > If mail went to personal and users@ receive message from the users@ list
> > discard the personal message.
>
> You might want to use something like this:
>
>   :0:
>   * ^TO_users@subversion.tigris.org
>   Lists/svn/users

I think this might be the solution - but currently is untested.

  1) Filter out emails that have both my email and subversion
     lists in the recipients, but did not originate from the list
     server.
  2) Filter out duplicates (first list message delivered is saved)
  3) Filter lists from subversion.tigris.org lists into a mailbox.

When I feel confident it is working (perhaps after this test) I plan to
send the files to /dev/null instead of the duplicates maildir.

	## Look to see if my personal email is on the list of recipients from a
	## "Reply-To-All" button.  People need larger reply to list buttons.
	##
	## Having multiple lines of tests is a logical AND
	## Recipe filtering stops on the first delivery - order matters
	## ! after the * is a negation of the test
	:0:
	* ^(To|Cc):.*@nesser\.org*
	* ^(To|Cc):.*@subversion\.tigris\.org*
        * ! ^Mailing-List.*subversion.tigris.org
	duplicates

	# --- handle duplicate email ---
	# http://www.zer0.org/procmail/tony.html
	MESG_ID=mesg_id.cache
	:0 Whc: $MESG_ID.lock
	| formail -D 196608 $MESG_ID
	        :0 a:
	        duplicates

	# Subversion List Rule
	:0:

Posted by Bob Proulx <bo...@proulx.com>.
Christopher Ness wrote:
> I just joined the dev@ list and have been a member of the users list for
> a while.  I notice that I'm going to be getting a lot more duplicate
> emails.

Such as this one.  (And I don't read the dev list so I don't know what
discussion follows there, or even if my message will post to it
because I am not subscribed.)  Crossposting is generally discouraged.

> I would like to parse out the duplicates with a procmail recipe.  Does
> anyone have one out there that checks the FROM: TO: && CC: headers for
> the three possible email's (personal, users@, dev@) and drops in that
> order from left to right.
>
> If mail went to all 3, I'd only get the one from dev@
> If mail went to personal and users@ receive message from the users@ list
> discard the personal message.

Personally, I am using the following rule.  This generically looks at
all of the mailing lists from subversion.tigris.org and places the
message in the folder that matches that mailing list.  I am using
maildir format mailboxes.  So there is no second ':' and a trailing
slash.

  :0
  * ^list-post: <ma...@subversion.tigris.org>
  * ^list-post: <mailto:\/[-a-zA-Z0-9]+
  $MAILDIR/Lists/svn/$MATCH/

Use this for classic mbox style mailboxes.

  :0:
  * ^list-post: <ma...@subversion.tigris.org>
  * ^list-post: <mailto:\/[-a-zA-Z0-9]+
  $MAILDIR/Lists/svn/$MATCH

I also use 'mutt' so my mutt configuration is to dynamically include
whatever mailboxes are there into the list of mailboxes.

  mailboxes `echo $HOME/Mail/Lists/svn/*`

This way I can subscribe and unsubscribe to whatever lists I want and
I don't have to change my rules at all.  This is very nice and convenient.

But that is not what you asked for because it will log duplicates to
the different folders.  That is of course what I want because each
list is unique and separate.  But what you want it easy too.

> the three possible email's (personal, users@, dev@) and drops in that
> order from left to right.
>
> If mail went to all 3, I'd only get the one from dev@
> If mail went to personal and users@ receive message from the users@ list
> discard the personal message.

You might want to use something like this:

  :0
  * ^TO_users@subversion.tigris.org
  Lists/svn/users/

  :0
  * ^TO_dev@subversion.tigris.org
  Lists/svn/dev/

Again in maildir format.  The following for mbox format folders.

  :0:
  * ^TO_users@subversion.tigris.org
  Lists/svn/users

  :0:
  * ^TO_dev@subversion.tigris.org
  Lists/svn/dev

Adjust the paths as you desire.

Bob

Re: OT: Multiple Lists - Filtering multiple mails

Posted by Kenneth Porter <sh...@sewingwitch.com>.
--On Tuesday, July 05, 2005 11:19 AM -0400 Christopher Ness
<ch...@nesser.org> wrote:

> I would like to parse out the duplicates with a procmail recipe.  Does
> anyone have one out there that checks the FROM: TO: && CC: headers for
> the three possible email's (personal, users@, dev@) and drops in that
> order from left to right.

I don't delete dups, but here's mine. I prefer to keep the dups to keep the
threading organized even when a list is added or removed mid-thread.

:0 :
* ^Mailing-List:.*dev.*subversion
mail/Lists/subversion/dev

:0 :
* ^Mailing-List:.*users.*subversion
mail/Lists/subversion/users

:0 :
* ^Mailing-List:.*announce.*subversion
mail/Lists/subversion/announce

:0 :
* ^TOsubversion
mail/Lists/subversion/cc

Re: OT: Multiple Lists - Filtering multiple mails

Posted by Bob Proulx <bo...@proulx.com>.
kfogel@collab.net wrote:
> Christopher Ness <ch...@nesser.org> writes:
> > I would like to parse out the duplicates with a procmail recipe.  Does
> > anyone have one out there that checks the FROM: TO: && CC: headers for
> > the three possible email's (personal, users@, dev@) and drops in that
> > order from left to right.
> >
> > If mail went to all 3, I'd only get the one from dev@
> > If mail went to personal and users@ receive message from the users@ list
> > discard the personal message.
>
> Instead of checking FROM, TO, and CC, why not unduplicate based on
> Message-ID?  This is part of the purpose of the Message-ID header, as
> I understand it.

The problem with doing that is that the message-id does not say
anything about where the message was sent.  So if the message was sent
to you, the user list, the dev list, you will get three messages that
all have the same message id.

The first will probably get to you first because it will bypass the
mailing list and go direct.  Or perhaps last if you have greylisting
at your site because that will force a delay by design.  Or perhaps
not at all if the person replying is sending from a dynamic IP address
and one blocks based upon DUL RBLs.  So for me I really want all three
because they are literally being sent to different forums.  But that
is not what the OP wanted.

So it is given that you can use the message-id to know the message is
a duplicate.  Then you can use the procmail rule to drop duplicate
messages and just keep the first one that you receive.

  :0 Wh: msgid.lock
  | formail -D 8192 msgid.cache

Then the problem is the same as before.  You still need to know how to
file the message.  The message-id says nothing about where to file the
message.  At that point you are right back to the point of the
discussion which is to look at the To: and Cc: addressing and pick a
method to file it according to your tastes.

Bob

Re: OT: Multiple Lists - Filtering multiple mails

Posted by kf...@collab.net.
Christopher Ness <ch...@nesser.org> writes:
> I just joined the dev@ list and have been a member of the users list for
> a while.  I notice that I'm going to be getting a lot more duplicate
> emails.
>
> I would like to parse out the duplicates with a procmail recipe.  Does
> anyone have one out there that checks the FROM: TO: && CC: headers for
> the three possible email's (personal, users@, dev@) and drops in that
> order from left to right.
>
> If mail went to all 3, I'd only get the one from dev@
> If mail went to personal and users@ receive message from the users@ list
> discard the personal message.

Instead of checking FROM, TO, and CC, why not unduplicate based on
Message-ID?  This is part of the purpose of the Message-ID header, as
I understand it.

-Karl

Re: OT: Multiple Lists - Filtering multiple mails

Posted by Loïc Minier <lo...@via.ecp.fr>.
        Hi,

On Tue, Jul 05, 2005, Christopher Ness wrote:
> I would like to parse out the duplicates with a procmail recipe.  Does
> anyone have one out there that checks the FROM: TO: && CC: headers for
> the three possible email's (personal, users@, dev@) and drops in that
> order from left to right.
>
> If mail went to all 3, I'd only get the one from dev@
> If mail went to personal and users@ receive message from the users@ list
> discard the personal message.

 The "preference" you describe is non-trivial to implement, but
 filtering out dupes is, as explained in procmailex(5):

 <<
 If  you are subscribed to several mailinglists and people cross-post to
 some of them, you usually receive several  duplicate  mails  (one  from
 every  list).   The following simple recipe eliminates duplicate mails.
 It tells formail to keep an 8KB cache file in which it will  store  the
 Message-IDs  of  the most recent mails you received.  Since Message-IDs
 are guaranteed to be unique for every new mail, they are ideally suited
 to  weed  out  duplicate mails.  Simply put the following recipe at the
 top of your rcfile, and no duplicate mail will get past it.

        :0 Wh: msgid.lock
        | formail -D 8192 msgid.cache

 For the preference part, it's tricky since you can receive the emails
 in a random order.

 You're probably using something like this:
 if list-post header matches subversion users
    put in subversion users mailbox

 if list-post header matches subversion developers
    put in subversion developers mailbox

 I think you might be able to use something like this:
 if a recipient is subversion users
     if a recipient is subversion developers
         if the message has already been seen
             discard it
         else
             put in developers mailbox
     else
         put in developers mailbox

 Not sure this scales well.

   Bye,

--
Loïc Minier <lo...@dooz.org>
"Neutral President: I have no strong feelings one way or the other."

Posted by Kenneth Porter <sh...@sewingwitch.com>.

Posted by Bob Proulx <bo...@proulx.com>.