Posted to dev@iceberg.apache.org by Anton Okolnychyi <ao...@apple.com.INVALID> on 2019/05/28 14:42:49 UTC

Future of Iceberg Parquet Reader

Hi,

I see more and more questions around Iceberg Parquet reader. I think it would be useful to have a thread that clarifies all open questions and explains the long-term plan.

1. Am I correct that performance is the main reason to have a custom reader in Iceberg? Are there any other purposes? A common question I get is why not improve parquet-mr instead of writing a new reader? I know that almost every system that cares about performance has its own reader, but why so?

2.  Iceberg filters out row groups based on stats and dictionary pages on its own whereas the Spark reader simply sets filters and relies on parquet-mr to do the filtering. My assumption there is a problem in parquet-mr. Is it correct? Is it somehow related to record materialization?

3. At some point, Julien Le Dem gave a talk about supporting page skipping in Parquet. His primary example was SELECT a, b FROM t WHERE c = 'smth'. Basically, filtering data in columns based on predicates on other columns. It is a highly anticipated feature on our end. Can somebody clarify if it will be part of parquet-mr or we will have to implement this in Iceberg?

4.  What is the long-term vision for the Parquet reader in Iceberg? Are there any plans to submit parts of it to parquet-mr? Will Iceberg reader be mostly independent of parquet-mr?

5. We are considering reading Parquet data into Arrow. Will be it something specific to Iceberg or generally available? I believe it is a quite common use case.

Thanks,
Anton

Re: Future of Iceberg Parquet Reader

Posted by Ryan Blue <rb...@netflix.com.INVALID>.
Am I correct that performance is the main reason to have a custom reader in
Iceberg? Are there any other purposes? A common question I get is why not
improve parquet-mr instead of writing a new reader? I know that almost
every system that cares about performance has its own reader, but why so?

Performance wasn’t the only reason. The record materialization API in
Parquet is complicated and required some hacks to handle Iceberg’s id-based
column resolution, like Dan noted. It is also easier to avoid translating
to Parquet’s expressions. I think this is also going to be a benefit for
the vectorization work, where Parquet Java doesn’t have a clear direction.

Iceberg filters out row groups based on stats and dictionary pages on its
own whereas the Spark reader simply sets filters and relies on parquet-mr
to do the filtering. My assumption there is a problem in parquet-mr. Is it
correct? Is it somehow related to record materialization?

There aren’t known bugs in Spark’s version. But if we want to extend the
expressions that Iceberg supports, it is much easier to have the stats and
dictionary filters in Iceberg. That way we can add contains, startsWith,
and others directly.

I should also note that Iceberg delegates record filtering back to Spark
because Spark will build a codegen filter. When Iceberg supports the page
indexes in Parquet, it will probably make sense to do this in Iceberg or
Parquet instead.

At some point, Julien Le Dem gave a talk about supporting page skipping in
Parquet. His primary example was SELECT a, b FROM t WHERE c = ‘smth’.
Basically, filtering data in columns based on predicates on other columns.
It is a highly anticipated feature on our end. Can somebody clarify if it
will be part of parquet-mr or we will have to implement this in Iceberg?

Parquet is adding page indexes in the next release. Because Iceberg doesn’t
use Parquet’s record materialization code, we would probably need to
implement it separately. We’ll see what makes sense when the feature is
released and can be used. If Parquet doesn’t support vectorized reads, then
Iceberg would need to implement the vectorized version anyway.

What is the long-term vision for the Parquet reader in Iceberg? Are there
any plans to submit parts of it to parquet-mr? Will Iceberg reader be
mostly independent of parquet-mr?

In the long term, I’d like to move components to Parquet. I’ve proposed
adding Iceberg’s expressions and record materialization to Parquet. But
these would probably require a Parquet 2.0 API because Iceberg’s record
readers are significantly different. There’s also a fair amount of work
needed to generalize how we build the reader tree.

Right now, we can iterate faster by developing new features in Iceberg.

We are considering reading Parquet data into Arrow. Will be it something
specific to Iceberg or generally available? I believe it is a quite common
use case.

At first, I think that we will probably make Iceberg-specific assumptions,
like using Iceberg expressions for data filters and resolving columns by
ID. But the core functionality will be general-purpose and we should be
able to move that upstream when it is stable.

The way Iceberg is structured as a library that delegates file reads to
engines, everything can be used on an individual file. This should be
immediately useful for anyone willing to pull in the iceberg-arrow
dependency.

--
Ryan Blue
Software Engineer

Re: Future of Iceberg Parquet Reader

Posted by Wes McKinney <we...@gmail.com>.

#3) There is active work going on related to page skipping (PARQUET-1201
<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/PARQUET-1201>).  I believe this may
be what you are referring to.

#4) Ideally we would be able to contribute back the read/write path

#5) We do intend to build a native parquet to arrow read path.  Initially

Posted by Wes McKinney <we...@gmail.com>.
hi Anton,