Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Jack Gostl <go...@argoscomp.com> on 2006/07/12 15:07:14 UTC

Image only spam

I'm running SpamAssassin version 3.0.3   running on Perl version 5.8.2 under
AIX 5.3. Starting a few months ago, I have been absolutely inundated with
"image only spam".  I've gone from catching 99% of the spam with almost no
false positives to less than 85%. I asked about this awhile ago, and tried
to upgrade to SpamAssassin version 3.1.1   running on Perl version 5.8.0,
and didn't see much improvement, so I left the prod machine alone.

I'm sure I'm not the only one with this problem. Has anyone had any success
with it?

Thanks...

Jack

Re: Image only spam

Posted by Loren Wilton <lw...@earthlink.net>.
> I'm running SpamAssassin version 3.0.3   running on Perl version 5.8.2
> under AIX 5.3. Starting a few months ago, I have been absolutely inundated
> with "image only spam".  I've gone from catching 99% of the spam with
> almost no

Have you tried any of the SARE rules?  A number of them will help with the
image-only spams, especially the stock spams.

        Loren

Re: Image only spam

Posted by JamesDR <ja...@trusswood.net>.
Jack Gostl wrote:
> I'm running SpamAssassin version 3.0.3   running on Perl version 5.8.2
> under AIX 5.3. Starting a few months ago, I have been absolutely
> inundated with "image only spam".  I've gone from catching 99% of the
> spam with almost no false positives to less than 85%. I asked about this
> awhile ago, and tried to upgrade to SpamAssassin version 3.1.1   running
> on Perl version 5.8.0, and didn't see much improvement, so I left the
> prod machine alone.
>
> I'm sure I'm not the only one with this problem. Has anyone had any
> success with it?
>
> Thanks...
>
> Jack

They get caught here all the time, do you have some headers from an
example that gets through? This info will help further with your
problem. Also what is your configuration? (Bayes, awl, net tests, etc, etc.)

James

Re: Image only spam

Posted by Dimitri Yioulos <dy...@firstbhph.com>.
On Thursday July 13 2006 9:28 am, Jack Gostl wrote:
> [...]

It appears that you were using only the SA default rules.  Now, these
are pretty good, but I think most would agree that you want to
supplement these with SARE rulesets, and prehaps bayes, DCC, razor,
and pyzor (or some combination thereof).  Then, you've got a pretty
tight system.

Dimitri

believed to be clean.

Re: Image only spam

Posted by Jack Gostl <go...@argoscomp.com>.
Converting to 3.1 is beginning to look better and better.

Thanks

Re: Image only spam

Posted by Steven Stern <su...@sterndata.com>.

Re: Image only spam

Posted by Steven Stern <su...@sterndata.com>.

Re: Image only spam

Posted by Jack Gostl <go...@argoscomp.com>.

Re: Image only spam

Posted by Jack Gostl <go...@argoscomp.com>.
> Take it slow with me, spamassassin has been running so well for so
> long that I haven't had to fiddle with it in ages and I don't remember
> the details. Do I add these rules to my user_prefs? Or to my
> /etc/mail/local.cf files?
>
> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Steven Stern"
> <su...@sterndata.com>

Thanks... I'll look at it tonight.