Posted to dev@geronimo.apache.org by David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com> on 2006/05/11 04:16:08 UTC

Offline deployer is almost ready :-)

After looking at Toby Cabot's patch (GERONIMO-1507) and thinking some
more I've come up with an offline deployer.  What I do is basically
start only the configurations in config.xml whose artifacts match .*-
deployer/.*   This is quite easy and seems to work.

There are 2 possible problems at the moment:

1. pattern matching is a bit fragile.  For instance,  there's the hot-
deployer which can't start in this environment.  We could slip around
this problem for now by a lot of renaming, such as calling the
builder modules *-builder.  It might be better to have a different
solution.  We can't really use a different config.xml since one goal
of the deployer is to modify the config.xml.  I guess we could have
an explicit list in var/config but that will introduce it's own set
of maintenance headaches.

2. In order to get the j2ee-system gbeans in place I copied the plan
into online-deployer.  This doesn't have an effect on online
deployment.  I'd prefer to find a way to get the config.set out of
server.jar rather than deployer.jar but I'm not sure how to do that.

Any suggestions?

thanks
david jencks