Posted to slide-user@jakarta.apache.org by Flavio Eduardo de Cordova <fl...@datasul.com.br> on 2004/01/15 13:06:59 UTC

Is Slide the best choice ?

People...

	I started studying Slide some weeks ago but I have some questions and I hope you can help me...

	First, my goal is to create a WebDAV layer to an ECM System (ECM = Enterprise Content Management) that has all the information about users, permissions, structure, documents and content. When the user connects to this layer he must see only the folders/documents he's allowed, exactly like when he/she uses the system's web version.

	So, my first question is: Slide has some default folders in the root (/actions, /files, etc) that I don't want to show to the users. Since those folders are configured in the domain.xml could I remove these entries and use a new one (for the root) that would get this information from my ECM system (for example: <objectnode classname="org.acme.MyNewNodeType" uri="/" />) ? I know they are important to make slide work properly but considering I'm going to use custom classes should I be concerned ?
	If not, how do I do this ? Have somebody used slide to do something like this before ?

	I'm not convinced yet if Slide is the best choice to help me on this since it looks like I'll have to rewrite a lot of classes... Or maybe it's not so many but I feel like I'm buying a whole car just to get a new tire. All I need is somebody to handle the WebDAV protocol..

	Do you think I should be trying to use any other component or API ? Or Slide is actually the best choice ? Have somebody already done this ?

Flavio Eduardo de Córdova

RE: Is Slide the best choice ?

Posted by Richard Unger <ru...@cim.mcgill.ca>.
Quoting Jim Tivy <ji...@bluestream.com>:

> Hi folks
>
> Why is slide not good for hooking up repositories.  Isn't this what Tamino
> did with slide V1.x?  How many other databases/interfaces have used slide
> for providing WebDav - JDBC to name one?

AFAIK, Tamino stores and indexes XML, so Slide uses Tamino as a 'Store', and
implements a store class to talk to it. For pure storage, any repository can
be tied into slide without too much hassle.
What's much harder is integrating a full repository, which has its own
notions of users, permissions, versions, etc, things that slide usally
handles.

> As well, isn't it a big mistake to tie the user storage into slide - what
> about single signon functionality where you rely on a directory or
> authentication server to authenticate users.

I agree with you here.

RE: Is Slide the best choice ?

Posted by Jim Tivy <ji...@bluestream.com>.
Hi folks