Posted to legal-discuss@apache.org by "John D. Ament" <jo...@apache.org> on 2017/05/21 21:06:36 UTC

Absolving the IPMC of IP Clearances

All, Specifically the new VP Legal,

The IPMC has struggled for a while being the gatekeepers for IP Clearance
for the entire foundation.  Several of us over the years have raised
concerns with this process.  It probably made sense when all new code went
through the incubator, but these days much new code goes directly to the
TLPs accepting them.

I'd like to question this practice, and see if there's any additional
guidance on how to handle IP Clearances, is this really an IPMC
responsibility?

John

Re: Absolving the IPMC of IP Clearances

Posted by Chris Mattmann <ma...@apache.org>.
Thanks John – yes getting this stuff in JIRA would significantly help along with links
like the ones below.

Also FWIW, back in the days of Incubator proposed destruction, we were well aware
of this requirement on the Incubator. I even included it as an element that would have
to be discharged (as evidence of that) in my Incubator Deconstruction Proposal [1].

That said, frankly, having the legal committee do this would not be scalable, by any
means, compared to decentralizing it to the Incubator (which has more available hands
and interest).

But just do you know even back in 2013 (and before) this was known. Also looking
up in the mailing archives regarding discussion around Legal “Short Form” and
other threads also led to much discussion around this responsibility.

Cheers,

Chris

[1] https://wiki.apache.org/incubator/IncubatorDeconstructionProposal

From: "John D. Ament" <jo...@gmail.com>
Date: Sunday, May 21, 2017 at 8:10 PM
To: "legal-discuss@apache.org" <le...@apache.org>
Subject: Re: Absolving the IPMC of IP Clearances

On Sun, May 21, 2017 at 10:19 PM Chris Mattmann <ma...@apache.org> wrote:

Thanks Craig. Yeah I think this needs some mulling over. I’ll read the below, and get back to folks.

I had found this link as well with my searching, specifically to respond to Craig's note on incubator about this subject.  Glad he found it as well.

I suspect that the note to the incubator around guidelines never happened, or that note is what lead to the 72 hour lazy consensus vote.  Though at the same time, this may just be a call to help build those guidelines to give proper guidance on who to consult.

As an FYI my backlog for this position is already growing, so to manage expectations, and so that

folks don’t expect immediate replies on this stuff, I can imagine at the current rate of things to
consider we are perhaps a month or two or three from some of these decisions being made. I’ll
do them as fast as I can with as much input from everyone as I can.

Yep - fully understood.  Would it help to get these things into JIRA?

Thanks for sourcing this Craig.

Cheers,

Chris

From: Craig Russell <ap...@gmail.com>
Date: Sunday, May 21, 2017 at 6:30 PM
To: "legal-discuss@apache.org" <le...@apache.org>

The IP Clearance has some history. I did a bit of archeology and found some interesting bits from ca. 2008. And some more from the year immediately after the Incubator was formed.

https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/INCUBATOR-74

http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-general/200804.mbox/%3c2C7D21B3-CA23-4086-809C-3B5ECC8EE7D5@gbiv.com%3e

http://incubator.apache.org/ip-clearance/httpd-mod_domain-clearance.html

This is from http://www.apache.org/foundation/records/minutes/2003/board_minutes_2003_12_17.txt

B. Discussion: code imports directly into projects vs incubation
       (e.g. maven-wagon and ws-fx)

       A discussion was had on how codebases arrive at the ASF.  Last
       year, the Board created the Apache Incubator Project to deal
       with these incoming codebases, primary to ensure that the
       proper IP guarantees have been made, and also to ensure that
       any community arriving with the code is aware of ASF processes
       and requirements.

       However, there are many cases where codebases happen to have
       been elsewhere by ASF committers, which makes it much easier to
       "bring the code [into the ASF]". The Board is crafting
       guidelines for when a codebase can be directly imported and
       verified by a PMC, and when it is required to use the Incubator
       for that process. Information will be posted to
       general@incubator.apache.org when those guidelines have been
       completed.

I have run out of time now to do more investigation, but please rest assured that many people have been involved over the years in the issues related to bringing code bases into the ASF and whatever we want to change, it's not a trivial task.

Craig

On May 21, 2017, at 2:13 PM, John D. Ament <jo...@apache.org> wrote:

On Sun, May 21, 2017 at 5:12 PM Roman Shaposhnik <ro...@shaposhnik.org> wrote:

On Sun, May 21, 2017 at 2:06 PM, John D. Ament <jo...@apache.org> wrote:
> All, Specifically the new VP Legal,
>
> The IPMC has struggled for a while being the gatekeepers for IP Clearance
> for the entire foundation.  Several of us over the years have raised
> concerns with this process.  It probably made sense when all new code went
> through the incubator, but these days much new code goes directly to the
> TLPs accepting them.
>
> I'd like to question this practice, and see if there's any additional
> guidance on how to handle IP Clearances, is this really an IPMC
> responsibility?

Here's the way I think about it: a whole bunch of code coming into the community
all at once has two implications:
   1. licensing
   2. community support

Licensing is easy when that whole bunch of code was written on behalf of a given
legal entity (lets say by employees of the corp X that also happen to
be part of
the community). In this case SGA from corp X is all that's required to
license the
code to ASF. TLPs should file it with secretary@ and not really
involve IPMC much
at all.

Licensing gets complicated if that whole bunch of code was written by a group
of committers without a clear IP provenance (such as an explicit ICLA). In this
case it actually dovetails into #2 on my list -- so lets talk about that.

#2 is when its not just code that will be joining a TLP, but a brand
new sub-community.
In those cases actual incubation may make sense. This is the only
place where I could
see IPMC getting involved for a good reason.

Makes sense?

Agreed - except that I think #2 is a question that the receiving project needs to decide - does this new project need to incubate or immediately become part of our TLP.  Recent history indicates most of the time, its straight to the TLP.  Obviously the IPMC is there to help if they choose to incubate.

Thanks,
Roman.

Craig L Russell
Secretary, Apache Software Foundation
clr@apache.org http://db.apache.org/jdo

Re: Absolving the IPMC of IP Clearances

Posted by "John D. Ament" <jo...@gmail.com>.

From: Craig Russell <ap...@gmail.com>
Date: Sunday, May 21, 2017 at 6:30 PM
To: "legal-discuss@apache.org" <le...@apache.org>

Posted by Craig Russell <ap...@gmail.com>.

https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/INCUBATOR-74 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/INCUBATOR-74>

http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-general/200804.mbox/%3c2C7D21B3-CA23-4086-809C-3B5ECC8EE7D5@gbiv.com%3e <http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-general/200804.mbox/%3C2C7D21B3-CA23-4086-809C-3B5ECC8EE7D5@gbiv.com%3E>

http://incubator.apache.org/ip-clearance/httpd-mod_domain-clearance.html <http://incubator.apache.org/ip-clearance/httpd-mod_domain-clearance.html>

clr@apache.org <ma...@apache.org> http://db.apache.org/jdo <http://db.apache.org/jdo>

Re: Absolving the IPMC of IP Clearances

Posted by "John D. Ament" <jo...@apache.org>.