Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Jonathan Allen <jo...@barumtrading.co.uk> on 2005/12/12 18:41:33 UTC

How to get SLB type blocking

Hi All,

I used to have SA 3.1.0 working with the Spamcop and SBL-type checks
working just fine on my old mail-server (RH6, don't ask) but its
hardware died and I am now trying to get it reworking on a Fedora
Core 2 machine.

SA was downloaded and installed from CPAN and seems to work in almost
every way except that the excellent rejection I was getting on the SBL
type checks now doesn''t work.  local.cf and v310.pre are the out-of-the
box versions and I'm not enough of an expert to know how to get this
working.

Can some kind soul point me in the right direction ...

Jonathan

Re: How to get SLB type blocking

Posted by Jonathan Allen <jo...@barumtrading.co.uk>.
Daryl C. W. O'Shea wrote:

> If you installed one of their RPMs I think that the
> /etc/sysconfig/spamassassin config file will probably have included "-L"
> in it, so if starting with their included rc script you'll only be using
> local tests.  If this is the case just remove the "-L" from that config
> file.

No, that just contains:

   SPAMDOPTIONS="-d -c -m5 -H"

and I built 3.1.0 from the CPAN repository.

Posted by "Daryl C. W. O'Shea" <sp...@dostech.ca>.
Matt Kettler wrote:
> Jonathan Allen wrote:

>> I used to have SA 3.1.0 working with the Spamcop and SBL-type checks
>> working just fine on my old mail-server (RH6, don't ask) but its
>> hardware died and I am now trying to get it reworking on a Fedora
>> Core 2 machine.
>
> Install the Net::DNS perl module.
>

> Pretty much everything should go automatically from there, unless you've
> intentionally disabled them by the -L command-line option, or set
> skip_rbl_checks to 1 in your config.

If you installed one of their RPMs I think that the
/etc/sysconfig/spamassassin config file will probably have included "-L"
in it, so if starting with their included rc script you'll only be using
local tests.  If this is the case just remove the "-L" from that config
file.

Daryl

Re: How to get SLB type blocking

Posted by Matt Kettler <mk...@evi-inc.com>.
Jonathan Allen wrote:

> Is there a debug mode that I could see ?  Just typing
>
>    spamassassin -t < spamemail | more
>
> shows that those tests aren't cutting in.

Try adding a -D to that command line, you'll get general debugging, which should
report on the state of the DNS modules, if it thinks DNS is working (based on
doing some simple MX lookups), etc.

Re: How to get SLB type blocking

Posted by Jonathan Allen <jo...@barumtrading.co.uk>.
Matt Kettler wrote:
> Jonathan Allen wrote:
> > I used to have SA 3.1.0 working with the Spamcop and SBL-type checks
> > working just fine on my old mail-server (RH6, don't ask) but its
> > hardware died and I am now trying to get it reworking on a Fedora
> > Core 2 machine.
>
> Install the Net::DNS perl module.

It says:

   Net::DNS is up to date.

I have Perl v5.8.7, installed and built on this machine from the CPAN
repository and then re-installed SA over the top.

> Pretty much everything should go automatically from there, unless you've
> intentionally disabled them by the -L command-line option

Is there a debug mode that I could see ?  Just typing

   spamassassin -t < spamemail | more

shows that those tests aren't cutting in.

> or set skip_rbl_checks to 1 in your config.

No, just a little collection of 'whitelist_from' commands

Posted by Matt Kettler <mk...@evi-inc.com>.