Posted to dev@cordova.apache.org by Joe Bowser <bo...@gmail.com> on 2013/09/26 21:09:41 UTC

2.9.0 Support

Hey

What did we agree to for supporting the old 2.9.x branch? I'm just
wondering, since we're still getting tons of bugs filed against that.
While most of them are valid in 3.0.x, we probably should be
backporting to 2.9.

Have people been doing this.  I've been doing this a bit, but I have
to admit that I've been slipping up recently.  What are people's
thoughts on this?

Joe

Re: 2.9.0 Support

Posted by Ian Clelland <ic...@chromium.org>.
On Fri, Sep 27, 2013 at 6:34 PM, Joe Bowser <bo...@gmail.com> wrote:

> So, are we going to do a 2.9.1? Should I be going through all the
> plugins and making sure that everything is backported?

I like the idea of releasing 2.9.1 close to Cordova 3.1 -- could we
continue with that up to 2.9.5 with Cordova 3.5? (Cadence-release, of
course :) )

Re: 2.9.0 Support

Posted by Joe Bowser <bo...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Sep 26, 2013 at 7:17 PM, Ian Clelland <ic...@chromium.org> wrote:
> We should be supporting 2.9 -- I'm pretty sure we've committed to at least
> fixing bugs as they come up.

We've committed to it, but to be honest, I stopped doing the backports
when I heard there wasn't going to be a 2.9.1 release, because if
there's not going to be a release of 2.9.1, there's no reason to keep
supporting 2.9.x.  It doesn't work with plugman the same way 3.x does.

> We never discussed whether we would *only* be fixing things that were
> reported on the 2.9 branch, or whether we were going to test the issues
> that were reported on 3.x and backport the fixes. I think, though, that as
> long as the codebases haven't diverged *so much* (as in a complete re-write
> of a given plugin), that we should at least take the time to verify the
> issue -- and the fix -- on 2.9, and release 2.9.x versions when it makes
> sense.

Agreed.

Re: 2.9.0 Support

Posted by Ian Clelland <ic...@chromium.org>.
We should be supporting 2.9 -- I'm pretty sure we've committed to at least
fixing bugs as they come up.

We never discussed whether we would *only* be fixing things that were
reported on the 2.9 branch, or whether we were going to test the issues
that were reported on 3.x and backport the fixes. I think, though, that as
long as the codebases haven't diverged *so much* (as in a complete re-write
of a given plugin), that we should at least take the time to verify the
issue -- and the fix -- on 2.9, and release 2.9.x versions when it makes
sense.

If we stick with the idea that bugs are testable, and keep all of the tests
in mobile-spec, then hopefully it shouldn't be much more work to run any
new tests against the current 2.9.x before and after applying a patch that
fixes is in 3.x.

Ian

Re: 2.9.0 Support

Posted by Andrew Grieve <ag...@chromium.org>.
I was in the habit of merging bug fixes back into 2.9.x a while ago, but
have also stopped doing that.

If we want 2.9.x to be bug fixes only, then I think it makes sense to spend
some time and cherry-pick changes.
If we want 2.9.x to be new features + bug fixes, then we could just work on
adding pre-bundling logic so that "bin/create" causes plugins to be already
installed. We want pre-bundling logic anyways for things like Android's
"App" plugin.

I suspect what we want is the bug fixes, but that does leave iOS7 support
out of 2.9.x, which makes it somewhat useless. So maybe we should just work
on pre-bundling?

Re: 2.9.0 Support

Posted by Ian Clelland <ic...@chromium.org>.

Re: 2.9.0 Support

Posted by Carlos Santana <cs...@gmail.com>.

--
Carlos Santana
<cs...@gmail.com>

Re: 2.9.0 Support

Posted by Brian LeRoux <b...@brian.io>.

Re: 2.9.0 Support

Posted by Shazron <sh...@gmail.com>.

RE: 2.9.0 Support

Posted by Brian LeRoux <b...@brian.io>.
You can help!

RE: 2.9.0 Support

Re: 2.9.0 Support

Posted by Michal Mocny <mm...@chromium.org>.

Re: 2.9.0 Support

Posted by Brian LeRoux <b...@brian.io>.
We should continue to do this for defects for the time being.