Posted to dev@harmony.apache.org by Kalpak Gadre <ka...@omniscientweb.com> on 2007/02/06 15:29:57 UTC

[general] memory usage and default Xmx

Hi,

When I tried running eclipse with harmony, I found out that the default
Xmx value is set to 256M
Is there any specific reason why this is set so high? Because it may
lead to impression of hdk
being a memory hogger. I have 512M RAM and my eclipse started taking up
256M memory from
start. Which made me feel hdk was a memory hogger.

1. Can we not set it by default to some lower value (like sun sets it to
64M), and when you need
it to be high, you can always override the default Xmx.

2. I also experienced that whatever Xmx I set, eclipse would start with
heap size of Xmx. (utilising
the maximum alloted heap size)

3.  I specified -Xmx as 128M and the heap size showed 128M but process
memory usage exceeded 280M.

Thanks,

Kalpak

Re: [general] memory usage and default Xmx

Posted by Kalpak Gadre <ka...@gmail.com>.

>> 1. Can we not set it by default to some lower value (like sun sets it
>> to 64M), and when you need
>> it to be high, you can always override the default Xmx.
>
> Sure.  Can you enter a JIRA?
Created issue HARMONY-3127

Posted by Kalpak Gadre <ka...@gmail.com>.
>> 3.  I specified -Xmx as 128M and the heap size showed 128M but
>> process memory usage exceeded 280M.
>
> That doesn't surprise me, as -Xmx is for the java heap, and there are
> other native resources consumed by the VM and class library beyond
> just the java heap
>
> geir

I agree! I was just doubtful about the difference.

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@pobox.com>.
On Feb 6, 2007, at 9:29 AM, Kalpak Gadre wrote:

> Hi,
>
> When I tried running eclipse with harmony, I found out that the
> default Xmx value is set to 256M
> Is there any specific reason why this is set so high? Because it
> may lead to impression of hdk
> being a memory hogger. I have 512M RAM and my eclipse started
> taking up 256M memory from
> start. Which made me feel hdk was a memory hogger.

:)

> 1. Can we not set it by default to some lower value (like sun sets
> it to 64M), and when you need
> it to be high, you can always override the default Xmx.

Sure.  Can you enter a JIRA?

> 2. I also experienced that whatever Xmx I set, eclipse would start
> with heap size of Xmx. (utilising
> the maximum alloted heap size)

That's a question someone else will have to answer.