Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by "matic@nimp.co.uk" <ma...@nimp.co.uk> on 2012/07/25 08:26:58 UTC

[math] integer factorization

Hello,

It seems there is no open source library providing support for integer
factorization, what about implementing it in commons.math ?

At the moment I am just considering to contribute a rather naive
implementation to factor int type only (with longs, we can feel that such
approach is slow).

The method would have the following signature:
public static int[] getPrimeFactors(int n)

(or something similar)
Regards,
Sebastien

Re: [math] integer factorization

Posted by "J.Pietschmann" <j3...@yahoo.de>.
Am 25.07.2012 08:26, schrieb matic@nimp.co.uk:
> It seems there is no open source library providing support for integer
> factorization, what about implementing it in commons.math ?

There are quite a few open source libraries providing integer
factorization, e.g. pari/gp (http://pari.math.u-bordeaux.fr/).

The question is, why do you think such a functionality would be useful
for commons math? There aren't all that much practical use cases for
factorization, in particular if it is limited to the Java integer range,
unless you want to implement a computer algebra system or you have to
deal with certain specific problems in discrete mathematics (neither of
which is in the focus of commons math).

J. Pietschmann