Posted to soap-user@xml.apache.org by Florin Moldovan <fl...@art-net.ro> on 2001/02/07 11:26:55 UTC

I send a complex object via SOAP

Hi all,

I succesfully send a complex object using SOAP.
-an object like this:

public class ObjectType{

    String s;
    Vector v;
    AnotherType a;
}

The point is to use a java serializer not a SOAP serializer on the client side. Send an array of bytes or a string via SOAP. Then, on the server side use a java deserializer and rebuild the object.

Re: Understanding SOAP

Posted by William Brogden <wb...@bga.com>.

"John E. Conlon" wrote:

> Question for the list:
>
> Is the book "Understanding SOAP: The Authoritative Solution" a worthwhile
> buy or read?
>
> Context:
> I am not interested in a Microsoft perspective (but I do want to write Java
> to talk with MS implementations) nor one that will confuse me coming up to
> speed with my Java - SOAP implementation.
>
> Anyone read it and have an opinion?
>
> thanks,
>
> John

I am using it as a reference - it is pretty clearly written.

--
WBB - wbrogden@lanw.com
Java Cert mock exams http://www.lanw.com/java/javacert/

Re: Understanding SOAP

Posted by "John L. Webber - jentro AG" <Jo...@jentro.com>.
It can also mean "strange".

John

Aleksandar Milanovic wrote:

> As far as I know, komish (and not comish) means funny in German.
> Alex

jentro AG
John L. Webber, Software Development
Peter-Henlein-Strasse 28-30, 85540 Haar/Munich, Germany
Tel.:  +49 89 462 385 0     (switchboard)
Tel.:  +49 89 462 385 38    (direct)
Fax:   +49 89 462 385 29
mailto:John.Webber@jentro.com
http://www.jentro.com

Re: Understanding SOAP

Posted by "John L. Webber - jentro AG" <Jo...@jentro.com>.
It can also mean "strange".

RE: Understanding SOAP

Posted by Aleksandar Milanovic <am...@galdosinc.com>.

RE: Understanding SOAP

Posted by Aleksandar Milanovic <am...@galdosinc.com>.

Re: Understanding SOAP

Posted by "John E. Conlon" <jc...@verticon.com>.

Re: Understanding SOAP

Posted by "John E. Conlon" <jc...@verticon.com>.

Re: Understanding SOAP

Posted by George I Matkovits <ma...@uswest.net>.
It is very Com-ish.
Regads - George

Re: Understanding SOAP

Posted by George I Matkovits <ma...@uswest.net>.
It is very Com-ish.
Regads - George

Re: Understanding SOAP

Posted by William Brogden <wb...@bga.com>.

RE: Understanding SOAP

Posted by Cory Isaacson <ci...@capita2.com>.
I found that just reading the first sections of the SOAP spec from the W3c
was easier and faster.

Cory

RE: Understanding SOAP

Posted by Cory Isaacson <ci...@capita2.com>.

Understanding SOAP

Understanding SOAP

Re: how to send a complex object via SOAP

Posted by Olivier Brand <ol...@intraware.com>.
Sure you can reduce the size by creating a GZIPOutputStream. Then encode
with Base64.

Olivier

Posted by Olivier Brand <ol...@intraware.com>.

Re: I send a complex object via SOAP

Posted by Florin Moldovan <fl...@art-net.ro>.
Hi Mahendra,

I have some suggestions for you:

      FacetData faceData = (FacetData) src;

      String fdata = faceData.format().toString();
      ByteArrayOutputStream baos = new ByteArrayOutputStream ();
      ObjectOutputStream oos = new ObjectOutputStream (baos);
      oos.writeObject (faceData);
      oos.flush();

//      String fdata = baos.toString();

    You must encode the byte array and not to transform it into String. You can use the Base64.encode methode.

      oos.close();
      baos.close();
      System.out.println("marshalled string = "+ fdata);
      sink.write(fdata);
      sink.write("</" + context + '>');

 On the client side you have to decode the String into byte array and deserialize the byte array in your object.

Good luck.

Re: I send a complex object via SOAP

Posted by Mahendra Babu <ba...@geometricsoftware.com>.
Hi Florin,

As suggested by you I am using a java serializer not a SOAP serializer on the client side and sending
array of bytes or a string via SOAP. as below.

      FacetData faceData = (FacetData) src;

      String fdata = faceData.format().toString();
      ByteArrayOutputStream baos = new ByteArrayOutputStream ();
      ObjectOutputStream oos = new ObjectOutputStream (baos);
      oos.writeObject (faceData);
      oos.flush();
      String fdata = baos.toString();
      oos.close();
      baos.close();
      System.out.println("marshalled string = "+ fdata);
      sink.write(fdata);
      sink.write("</" + context + '>');

But I get the following exception being thrown.
Could you please explain how you were able to pass an array of bytes.

org.xml.sax.SAXParseException: An invalid XML character (Unicode: 0x0) was found
 in the element content of the document.
        at org.apache.xerces.framework.XMLParser.reportError(XMLParser.java:1056
)
        at org.apache.xerces.framework.XMLDocumentScanner.reportFatalXMLError(XM
LDocumentScanner.java:644)
        at org.apache.xerces.framework.XMLDocumentScanner$ContentDispatcher.disp
atch(XMLDocumentScanner.java:1356)
        at org.apache.xerces.framework.XMLDocumentScanner.parseSome(XMLDocumentS
canner.java:381)
        at org.apache.xerces.framework.XMLParser.parse(XMLParser.java:948)
        at org.apache.soap.util.xml.XercesParserLiaison.read(XercesParserLiaison
.java:85)
        at org.apache.soap.rpc.Call.invoke(Call.java:157)
        at MySoapClient.main(MySoapClient.java:54)
SOAPException= SOAP-ENV:Protocol, <SOAP-ENV:Envelope xmlns:SOAP-ENV="http://sche
mas.xmlsoap.org/soap/envelope/" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/1999/XMLSchema-inst
ance" xmlns:xsd="http://www.w3.org/1999/XMLSchema">
<SOAP-ENV:Body>
<ns1:getFacetDataResponse xmlns:ns1="urn:demo2:Faceter1" SOAP-ENV:encodingStyle=
"http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/encoding/">
<return xmlns:ns2="urn:xml-soap-faceter" xsi:type="ns2:facetData">┬¼├¡ ♣sr
FacetDatac{ΓÇá├í4PyF☻ ☻I ♦size[
facetArrayt ☻[Dxp   ♥ur ☻[D>┬ª┼ƶ┬½cZ▲☻  xp   ♥        ?├░      @       </return

</ns1:getFacetDataResponse>
</SOAP-ENV:Body>
</SOAP-ENV:Envelope>

Thanks in advance,
Mahendra Babu

---
Visit me at: http://www.mahendrab.cjb.net
``I'll tell you what the trick is: What you get is what you actually give away. '' - Tom Maxwell

Re: Help ..

Posted by George I Matkovits <ma...@uswest.net>.
JSWDK will not work with Soap, please start using Tomcat.
Regards - George

Re: Help ..

Posted by George I Matkovits <ma...@uswest.net>.

Help ..

Posted by Sanjiva Weerawarana <sa...@watson.ibm.com>.
Florin- the approach of doing Java serialization to send complex
types works only if u r doing Java-Java and you're in charge of
both sides to know that this particular byte array should be
viewed as a serialized object. In that case you're using SOAP
basically as a way to tunnel RMI in XML carried over
HTTP/<whatever you're carrying your SOAP on>.

Is that what you want? Yes, you can do it, but totally Java-Java
only.

Apache SOAP fully suports arbitrary complex types. If you look
at the addressbook sample you'll see a Java type called Address
which contains another complex type called PhoneNumber and you'll
see how to use the BeanSerializer to do the work of carrying this
from A to B in an interoperable way.

Sanjiva.

Posted by craig mclaughlin <cp...@yahoo.com>.
Hello Florin.