Posted to users@trafficserver.apache.org by Eddie <zt...@yahoo.com> on 2013/09/03 16:30:18 UTC

Apply configuration changes

Hi Guys,

I have couple of questions and hope someone can help ...

1: Can I do "configtest" before I apply configuration change made to remap.config on a running ATS instance?
2: Do I have to restart ATS for "map" rule change? So far, seems to me I have to do it. Otherwise, the new rule added is not picked up.

The problem I am facing is that if the new "map" rule is not created correctly,  the restart will fail and cause outage. But there is no way
for me to test the configuration.

Any idea how I can do it?

Thanks

Eddie

Re: Apply configuration changes

Posted by Leif Hedstrom <zw...@apache.org>.
On Sep 3, 2013, at 8:30 AM, Eddie <zt...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Hi Guys,
>
> I have couple of questions and hope someone can help ...
>

> 1: Can I do "configtest" before I apply configuration change made to remap.config on a running ATS instance?

Unfortunately not, this is a feature we really need.

> 2: Do I have to restart ATS for "map" rule change? So far, seems to me I have to do it. Otherwise, the new rule added is not picked up.

You shouldn't have to. After editing or pushing the new remap.config, all you should have to do is traffic_line -x (running as a user with appropriate permissions).

> The problem I am facing is that if the new "map" rule is not created correctly,  the restart will fail and cause outage. But there is no way
> for me to test the configuration.

If I recall, traffic_line -x will not replace the old configuration with a broken one. Hopefully it would also say something in the syslog and/or error logs. If you do a restart, that is obviously not an option, it'll simply refuse to restart with a broken configuration.

-- Leif

Re: Apply configuration changes

Posted by Eddie <zt...@yahoo.com>.
Thanks for the reply ... i am thinking about setting up a staging server.

I don't know of an official way to test the config. But you could just install ATS on some other test box and run it with the config to verify the validity. You don't even need to two network cards or anything else.

Posted by Eddie <zt...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by "Alan M. Carroll" <am...@network-geographics.com>.