Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Dripple <dr...@laposte.net> on 2006/03/31 06:02:11 UTC

Tags vs. labels

Hi,

I'm currently reading the SVN User Book. I found that SVN somehow has a
"tag" feature, which is in fact a subdirectory of a project. My point is
to manage differetn revisions of a file, directory, or mixed with my own
named revision numbers. For exemple, instead of having revision nr. 123,
I'd have revision nr. V1.2_0003.

That's why I'd like to have labels to do it... And then develop a script
that allows users to load a revision using labels instead of revision
numbers...

Is it possible ?

Thanks for any comment.

Dripple

Re: Tags vs. labels

Posted by Res Pons <po...@hotmail.com>.
I don't understand why you'd want your users to get the latest tags when in
fact the latest tag is usually the latest HEAD state of the trunk?!  A Tag
is supposed to be for a build/release engineer to preserve the pristine
state of a release or working build, should it be necessary to whip up a
build on the fly.  And if you check out a tag, you will invite trouble as
you developers MUST remember to do an svn switch as to not check back into
the tag inadvertently or otherwise what's the purpose of a tag if its static
state is going to be changed? Why can't you use branching?

Posted by Dripple <dr...@laposte.net>.

Re: Tags vs. labels

Posted by Markus KARG <ma...@quipsy.de>.