Posted to java-user@axis.apache.org by "Martin, Richard" <rm...@essex.ac.uk> on 2004/01/12 18:23:16 UTC

RE: JNI with AXIS - InvocationTargetException

Hi Sai,

I'm not sure what container you are running Axis in. However there is an
entry in the Tomcat 5.0 release notes relating to JNI with tomcat:
http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-5.0-doc/RELEASE-NOTES.txt

The following is copied verbatim:

-------------------------------------
Tomcat 5.0 and JNI Based Applications:
-------------------------------------

Applications that require native libraries must ensure that the
libraries have
been loaded prior to use.  Typically, this is done with a call like:

  static {
    System.loadLibrary("path-to-library-file");
  }

in some class.  However, the application must also ensure that the
library is
not loaded more than once.  If the above code were placed in a class
inside
the web application (i.e. under /WEB-INF/classes or /WEB-INF/lib), and
the
application were reloaded, the loadLibrary() call would be attempted a
second
time.

To avoid this problem, place classes that load native libraries outside
of the
web application, and ensure that the loadLibrary() call is executed only
once
during the lifetime of a particular JVM.

I'm not sure whether this has any relevance to your container but I
remember reading that there was a similar problem with Tomcat 4.x series
of applications, and it looks like the steps listed above might be true
of other servlet containers as well.

Hope this helps,

Richard