Posted to dev@jackrabbit.apache.org by Marcel Reutegger <mr...@day.com> on 2009/09/10 10:11:09 UTC

inconsistent svn:mergeinfo

Hi,

it seems this commit http://svn.apache.org/viewvc?rev=767511&view=rev
introduced more mergeinfo revisions than are actually covered by
source changes.

> 746932 (JCR-1988)
> 746946 (JCR-1990)
> 747096 (JCR-1976)
> 748065 (JCR-1997)

the first two seem unintended. I'll simply remove them from the list.
Is that OK or should this be handled differently?

regards
 marcel

Re: inconsistent svn:mergeinfo

Posted by Marcel Reutegger <ma...@gmx.net>.
Hi,

On Thu, Sep 10, 2009 at 10:36, Jukka Zitting<ju...@gmail.com> wrote:
> When merging fixes back to a maintenance branch I often mark changes
> related to improvements and new features with the --record-only
> option. This makes the svn mergeinfo command more useful in checking
> what fixes could/should still be backported.

hmm, I see.

> Normally we shouldn't be backporting non-bugfix changes, so the above
> practice shouldn't cause too many problems. In cases where you do need
> to merge a non-bugfix change, you can explicitly revert the
> --record-only setting to make the merge work.
>
> Here's an example for the JCR-1988 issue:
>
>    TRUNK=https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/jackrabbit/trunk
>    svn merge -c -746932 --record-only $TRUNK
>    svn merge -c 746932 $TRUNK

OK, thanks. I'll do that.

Posted by Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

On Thu, Sep 10, 2009 at 10:11 AM, Marcel Reutegger <mr...@day.com> wrote:
> it seems this commit http://svn.apache.org/viewvc?rev=767511&view=rev
> introduced more mergeinfo revisions than are actually covered by
> source changes.
> [...]
> the first two seem unintended. I'll simply remove them from the list.
> Is that OK or should this be handled differently?

When merging fixes back to a maintenance branch I often mark changes
related to improvements and new features with the --record-only
option. This makes the svn mergeinfo command more useful in checking
what fixes could/should still be backported.

Normally we shouldn't be backporting non-bugfix changes, so the above
practice shouldn't cause too many problems. In cases where you do need
to merge a non-bugfix change, you can explicitly revert the
--record-only setting to make the merge work.

Here's an example for the JCR-1988 issue:

    TRUNK=https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/jackrabbit/trunk
    svn merge -c -746932 --record-only $TRUNK
    svn merge -c 746932 $TRUNK

BR,

Jukka Zitting