Posted to wiki-changes@httpd.apache.org by Apache Wiki <wi...@apache.org> on 2008/01/21 23:30:10 UTC

[Httpd Wiki] Update of "AuthTroubleshooter" by ChrisPepper

Dear Wiki user,

The following page has been changed by ChrisPepper:
http://wiki.apache.org/httpd/AuthTroubleshooter

The comment on the change is:
Clean up wording a bit.

  ## page was renamed from ScratchPad/AuthTroubleshooter
  = Auth Troubleshooting =

- This guide aims to answer the question "Help, my authentication isn't working!". It is specific to the latest stable branch of Apache HTTD, version 2.2.
+ This guide aims to answer the question "Help, my authentication isn't working! What's wrong?". It is specific to the latest stable branch of Apache HTTPD, version 2.2.

  For more detailed reference information, see:
  http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/howto/auth.html
@@ -44, +44 @@

  In order for this configuration to work, the file {{{/etc/httpd/passwords}}}
  must be created using the {{{htpasswd}}} utility. See {{{htpasswd -h}}} for help
- on its available options (in particular, note that the -c option should be used to create the passwords file the first, and only the first, time of use).
+ on its available options (in particular, note that the -c option should be used exactly once per file, to create the passwords file).

  Users of Debian or Ubuntu Linux operating systems should check that the module
  configuration files for each of the three modules listed above have been symlinked from the mods-available directory to mods-enabled.

  == My browser continuously prompts for a password but it's never accepted! ==

- Checking the relevant error log should explain why this is happening. Common errors are:
+ The relevant error log should explain why this is happening. Common errors are:

   * user foo: authentication failure for "/": Password Mismatch