Posted to user@zookeeper.apache.org by Mark Gius <mg...@gmail.com> on 2012/05/10 22:35:54 UTC

Does Leader Election Have a "Settling" period?

I'm doing some testing around a Client being connected to a zookeeper
endpoint that goes away and I'm seeing what appears to be a "settling"
period that is causing some errors.

The test is as follows:

 1) Three zookeeper servers are started up on the same host, configured to
cluster with each other.
 2) A Client is created and attaches to Server 1 (using
deterministic_conn_order flag to force this)
 3) Shut down Server 1 (which is NOT the Leader)
 4) Servers 2 and 3 still have quorum.  Interruption of service should be
minimal.
 5) The Client _should_ reconnect immediately to Server 2 or 3.

The behavior I am seeing in practice is that after shutting down Server 1
quorum is lost and the Client takes on the order of 15-20 seconds to
re-establish a connection to the cluster.  I do not see this behavior on a
cluster that has existed for some time (say, 30-60 seconds).  I also do not
see this problem on a cluster whose tickTime has been decreased to 100ms
from the default of 2000ms.

Is there a settling period that occurs immediately after a Leader is
elected such that quorate changes during that time cause a full leader
election when one might not otherwise be necessary?  If so, where can I
find information about how this settling period behaves?

I have uploaded the logs for each of the three zookeeper servers here:
https://gist.github.com/2655709

Mark

Re: Does Leader Election Have a "Settling" period?

Posted by Mark Gius <mg...@gmail.com>.
Hmm... so then it looks like the problem was that I needed to give 3 a
little more time to join the quorum before shooting 1 so as to maintain
quorum throughout the test.  I'll give that a shot.   Thanks!

Mark

Posted by Flavio Junqueira <fp...@yahoo-inc.com>.

2012-05-09 01:08:08,959 - INFO  [WorkerReceiver Thread:FastLeaderElection@496] - Notification: 2 (n.leader), 4294967297 (n.zxid), 2 (n.round), LOOKING (n.state), 2 (n.sid), LOOKING (my state)
2012-05-09 01:08:08,959 - INFO  [WorkerReceiver Thread:FastLeaderElection@496] - Notification: 3 (n.leader), 0 (n.zxid), 2 (n.round), LOOKING (n.state), 3 (n.sid), LOOKING (my state)

Posted by Martin Kou <bi...@gmail.com>.
I've been using Zookeeper 3.3.5 and the time needed to reconnect after
leader death seems to be close to 4 seconds. I think a large part of it is
due to the server nodes needing to confirm the death of their leader by
heartbeats.

Best Regards,
Martin Kou