Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Brandon Cruz <bc...@norvax.com> on 2001/10/11 16:09:30 UTC

Somebody please help???

I currently have a Linux machine with 25 virtual hosts on Apache that all
connect to one application residing in the $tomcat_home$/classes directory
in a tomcat 3.2.1 installation.  Over the next few months, we are adding
many more virtual hosts, and the version of the application will be changing
constantly as well.  I need to find a good way to handle this, since putting
everything inside $tomcat_home$/classes is obviously not a good way to do
it.

Is it possible for me to continue using that machine and install a newer
version of tomcat (or the same one if recommended) that will connect to the
same Apache server, and will Apache know which version of tomcat to forward
each virtual host's requests to based on the domain name?

When installing another version of tomcat on the same machine, will I run
into
problems when setting things like $tomcat_home$?

Can each virtual host use apache/vhosts/hostname/httpdocs/... for the .jsp
files, and keep .class and .jar files inside
$another_tomcat_home$/webapps/versionX.x/web-inf/classes?  Is there a way to
specify which vhost uses which webapp?

If someone can please advise me as to which of these things can be
accomplished and what version of tomcat I would need for this, even just yes
or no answers would be EXTREMELY helpful for me!

Thanks in advance!

Brandon

Re: Somebody please help???

Posted by paul <pa...@roadrunner.uk.com>.
> I currently have a Linux machine with 25 virtual hosts on Apache that all
> connect to one application residing in the $tomcat_home$/classes directory
> in a tomcat 3.2.1 installation.  Over the next few months, we are adding
> many more virtual hosts, and the version of the application will be
changing
> constantly as well.  I need to find a good way to handle this, since
putting
> everything inside $tomcat_home$/classes is obviously not a good way to do
> it.
>

> Is it possible for me to continue using that machine and install a newer
> version of tomcat (or the same one if recommended) that will connect to
the
> same Apache server, and will Apache know which version of tomcat to
forward
> each virtual host's requests to based on the domain name?
>

> When installing another version of tomcat on the same machine, will I run
> into
> problems when setting things like $tomcat_home$?
>

> Can each virtual host use apache/vhosts/hostname/httpdocs/... for the .jsp
> files, and keep .class and .jar files inside
> $another_tomcat_home$/webapps/versionX.x/web-inf/classes?  Is there a way
> specify which vhost uses which webapp?

Maybe i am able to answer this one
ct, b2b, logon, wh are my various contexts /web apps
define two connectors conn1 conn2
and then for each host use your chosen connector for the context..
you must then configure your server.xml to for each of the connectors
I am not experienced on this but it i would guess it would work
if you want to see server.xml reply and will show tomorrow

WebAppConnection conn1 warp localhost:8009
WebAppConnection conn2 warp localhost:8010

NameVirtualHost 193.133.123.162

<VirtualHost 193.133.123.162>
ServerName pan.web.roadrunner.uk.com
DocumentRoot /usr/local/apache/pan.web.roadrunner.uk.com/htdocs
WebAppDeploy ct conn1 /ct/
WebAppDeploy b2b conn2 /b2b/
WebAppDeploy logon conn1 /logon/
WebAppDeploy wh conn2 /wh/