Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Michael Connors <mi...@go2.ie> on 2007/01/25 12:33:45 UTC

lint test failed after rulesdujour update

Hi,
I am new to spamassassin so sorry if my question is a bit stupid.
I have mail spamassassin 3.1.0 running with mailscanner.
It updates it self via RulesDuJour on a regular basis and I get an email
which informs me of the update.
This morning I noticed that there was a error in the process, I received
a second email which contained the following plus a traceback that
mentioned missing operators.

**WARNING***: spamassassin --lint failed.
Rolling configuration files back, not restarting SpamAssassin.
Rollback command is:  mv -f /etc/spamassassin/antidrug.cf /etc/spamassassin/RulesDuJour/antidrug.cf.2; mv -f /etc/spamassassin/RulesDuJour/antidrug.cf.20070125-0029 /etc/spamassassin/antidrug.cf;

I couldnt rollback because the file antidrug.cf.20070125-0029 did not
exist so I decided to run spamassassin --lint at the command line myself
expecting the same error but instead it ran ok, I sent the spamassassin
test email to myself and it was caught so everything seems to be working
as expected, however I would really like to know why the above error was
thrown.
Regards,
Michael

Re: lint test failed after rulesdujour update

Posted by Dimitri Yioulos <dy...@firstbhph.com>.
On Thursday 25 January 2007 10:10 am, Matt Kettler wrote:
> Dimitri Yioulos wrote:
> > On Thursday 25 January 2007 6:33 am, Michael Connors wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >> I am new to spamassassin so sorry if my question is a bit stupid.
> >> I have mail spamassassin 3.1.0 running with mailscanner.
> >> It updates it self via RulesDuJour on a regular basis and I get an email
> >> which informs me of the update.
> >> This morning I noticed that there was a error in the process, I received
> >> a second email which contained the following plus a traceback that
> >> mentioned missing operators.
> >>
> >> **WARNING***: spamassassin --lint failed.
> >> Rolling configuration files back, not restarting SpamAssassin.
> >> Rollback command is:  mv -f /etc/spamassassin/antidrug.cf
> >> /etc/spamassassin/RulesDuJour/antidrug.cf.2; mv -f
> >> /etc/spamassassin/RulesDuJour/antidrug.cf.20070125-0029
> >> /etc/spamassassin/antidrug.cf;
> >>

> >> I couldnt rollback because the file antidrug.cf.20070125-0029 did not
> >> exist so I decided to run spamassassin --lint at the command line myself
> >> expecting the same error but instead it ran ok, I sent the spamassassin
> >> test email to myself and it was caught so everything seems to be working
> >> as expected, however I would really like to know why the above error was
> >> thrown.
> >> Regards,
> >> Michael
> >
> > The creator of antidrug posted a thorugh explanation of the where and
> > when regarding this rule (see
> > marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=spamassassin-users&m=116965442518029&w=2).
> > Without trying to sound holier-than-thou (lord knows, I'm the last one
> > that should cop that attitude), you should search the archives first.
> > That said, a precis of Matt Kettler's post:
> >
> > 1.  The location of antidrug.cf has moved, and;
> > 2.  It's included in SA 3+ and, in fact, can be counter-productive if
> > used in combination with same.
> >
> > HTH.
> >
> > Dimitri
>
> Thank you Dimitri.
>
> I'd also add:
>
> 3) I've posted the error-generating file as a last-resort to draw
> people's attention to the fact they need to change their RDJ before
> someone else, possibly malicious, has control of my old account. A
> malicious person could post a replacement file that whitelists spam.

Matt,

Thanks for completing the info.  Hence my "holier-than-thou" disclaimer.

Dimitri

believed to be clean.

Re: lint test failed after rulesdujour update

Posted by Matt Kettler <mk...@verizon.net>.

Posted by Dimitri Yioulos <dy...@firstbhph.com>.